pH spike from 8.0 to 8.8 overnight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johny

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any one know what would make pH go up?

My tank was started on Dec. 26, fish in cycle on a 60 gal. 9 zebra danio and 5 serpae tetra. pH has been a steady 8.0 the entire time, and that's about what my tap pH is. Ammo sits about .25 or less. Pwc as needed. Testing with liquid api. Nitrite and nitrate always 0. About 1/2in dirt under gravel cap. Med to heavy planted.

We treated for fungal, and finished the treatment yesterday. Added 3 of the danios to replace some we lost and added a couple jungle vals. No new decorations etc.

Pic shows tank pH on the left and tap on the right.

I am doing a pwc right now, will slowly fill, run the filter for a couple hours then do another.

Any ideas on what could drive my pH up?
uploadfromtaptalk1452355324312.jpg

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

What's in there for substrate and decorations?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I put a 1/2 of prepared dirt over about 3/4 of the bottom and capped it with gravel. See pictures. We have 5 small decorations, all bought at pet smart. They have been in the tank since day 1.
I have one piece of wood floating at the top of the tank. Its a piece we have used in past aquariums.

Forgotuploadfromtaptalk1452356120807.jpguploadfromtaptalk1452356128814.jpg the pictures

Its really fine gravel from pet smart

Dirt has been in since like day 3.

Just finished a 50% water change. I'm going to run the filter for about an hour, to turn the water over, then test again.

So this is getting weird.
Just tested again, and its way back down. I only did a 50 % water change. Shouldn't have shifted that quick right?

Tank on the left, tap on the right.
uploadfromtaptalk1452367542157.jpg

Something in your tank is causing the ph to rise. What are you using as filter media?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm pretty careful about testing.

I have a canister filter with three trays of bio media, then a course and fine filter pad.

I have put carbon back in the filter to make sure I got everything from the fungal treatment out. We used national geographic hebal relief. Followed all the directions.
http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=/fi...diseases-zid36-27486/cat-36-catid-300035?null

Back
Top Bottom