pH spike??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlmonB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, i'm pretty new to fish keeping but I'm learning! Right now I have a 20 gallon aquarium with 1 male sunburst platy, 2 male fancy guppies, and 4 zebra danios(that I am possibly giving to a friend due to agression with guppies). Last night while feeding I noticed my danios had some redness where their gills are. Upon research I read that ammonia could be the cause, but I quickly checked my water and its at zero. My tank reads 0-ammonia, 0 nitrites, and about 10- nitrate. But my pH had been reading about 7.4 for a couple weeks but I just checked it again and its reading 8.0-8.4! Could that be causing my danios red gills? How can I get the pH back down? All my fish are acting fine, and all are eating well.

Thank you for your help!

Most species can survive in a wide range of pH. Don't worry about it too much.
Mine is always at 8.0 and it's fine for all of my fish.
pH controllers can throw your tank off balance.

I wouldn't mess with it. If you're super worried, do a 50% water change, but you should be fine.

Okay thank you! I was just worried because of the pH swing, could that cause the red gills?

Possibly, but that could also be from Gill Disease as well. Are there any other changes in your fish's appearance or behavior?

Your fish might also just be adjusting to the swing. Once they're used to it, they might be fine
Maybe go grab some Melafix if you suspect gill disease.

Hi,

Your tank appear as if it has already been cycled, or it has not begun the cycle and you just have nitrates in your tap water. You don't specify...

If your tank has already cycled, and you did it with fish in the tank, the red gills may be a result of ammonia burns, especially if all of the Danios have it.

The fish you have in the tank will all do fine with your existing pH reading. It's more important to keep the pH stable than to see it fluctuate. Don't do anything to try to alter it, just let it be.

David

Hi,

Your tank appear as if it has already been cycled, or it has not begun the cycle and you just have nitrates in your tap water. You don't specify...

If your tank has already cycled, and you did it with fish in the tank, the red gills may be a result of ammonia burns, especially if all of the Danios have it.

The fish you have in the tank will all do fine with your existing pH reading. It's more important to keep the pH stable than to see it fluctuate. Don't do anything to try to alter it, just let it be.

David
I agree, let the pH be unless you are keeping fish that are known to be sensitive to a specific pH. I also think that gill burn might be the cause. How long ago did you cycle your tank?

There are no nitrates in my tap water, my tank is cycled. There hasn't been a change in appearance or behavior that I've noticed. They're still very active and eating well. But I will let the pH be and I'll keep a close eye on them and the water. I test two times a day anyways but I'll keep more check and look into the Gill Disease. Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom