Ph Test Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creic38

Aquarium Advice Freak
This sounds like a total noob question, but here it goes. When using the low API ph test kit, I get blue, 7.6. So I go ahead and test with the high API test kit and I get the brown, 7.4. Does anyone else get these readings? What would you say the ph is for sure? I'm not overly concerned as I get these readings every single time, so I am consistent.. Just curious as to how I should read that. All other parameters are good.

Not a noob question! API has a lot of 'vague' areas that you kinda have to try and decipher. Ok, the regular ph test jumps from 7.2 to 7.6. So, unless you are positive you are seeing 7.2 (which your not), this means the blue reading can indicate 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 7.6 on up. If your seeing a 7.4 reading on the high test, it can mean 7.4 or number lower than this. So, put together, I would say your right in the 7.3-7.4 range. :)

Your Tank's pH

This sounds like a total noob question, but here it goes. When using the low API ph test kit, I get blue, 7.6. So I go ahead and test with the high API test kit and I get the brown, 7.4. Does anyone else get these readings? What would you say the ph is for sure? I'm not overly concerned as I get these readings every single time, so I am consistent.. Just curious as to how I should read that. All other parameters are good.

Hello c...

I think you're concerned over nothing. As long the pH remains stable, your fish won't have a problem. Your water is a little alkaline, but that's what aquarium fish prefer.

Actually, if you're not keeping and breeding rare fish, you don't need to be concerned with pH, hardness or any of that. It's really not that important. The majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the majority of public water supplies.

Just remove and replace half the water in the tank every week with pure, treated tap water and your water properties will be stable.

Pretty simple.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello c...

I think you're concerned over nothing. As long the pH remains stable, your fish won't have a problem. Your water is a little alkaline, but that's what aquarium fish prefer.

Actually, if you're not keeping and breeding rare fish, you don't need to be concerned with pH, hardness or any of that. It's really not that important. The majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the majority of public water supplies.

Just remove and replace half the water in the tank every week with pure, treated tap water and your water properties will be stable.

Pretty simple.

B

That's pretty much what I was thinking, I was just curious and wanted a little closure. It's always good to get opinions from others just for some piece of mind. Thanks for your responses.

I been doing fish-in cycling for the past 6 weeks and I test daily...my ph does the exact same thing...I am glad you asked the question

Glad I could be of service! Like I said, it's really not a big deal, was just bugging the heck out of me!

I don't think it is stupid at all, I only use one ph test and getting a reading of 7.6 every time , when I first test the tap water in the bucket it reads 7.4 but after sitting for 12-48 hours to let the chlorine evaporate it reads 7.6 again I am thinking of getting another source to hold my water to see if that helps. I added another piece of driftwood to see if that would help, but then my dad informed me that the driftwood takes a long time to effect the ph and by doing my water change weekly it won't make any real difference so it has become decor, I am happy I like the look of driftwood:)

Like already mentioned you are stable so your fish will stay happy,

Back
Top Bottom