pH will not go down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eatfood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started a 55g aquarium about a week ago. The pH of our tap water is about 7.5, however, for the past 6 days, my tank has been stuck at about 8.5. When we first filled the tank, we had shells and geodes added for decoration. After 4 days had passed of the pH being stuck at 8.5, I decided to remove the shells and the geodes and replace about 2/3 of the water. The same day I took the water sample to petsmart. The pH was lowered to about 7.8, and there were a slight indication of nitrates present. I figured I had fixed the problem, so I decided to get 5 neon tetras to start the tank off. A day later, I saw a fish swimming sideways and upside down. Not even an hour later, I see it dead at the bottom of the tank. I decided to take the fish back to petsmart to get the refund and test the water. The pH had raised back to 8.5 and the water hardness was really high. I don't want to get pH down chemicals because I read that was bad for the fish and it doesn't last. I also read that driftwood may help, but I have seen no success stories of it actually working.

It turns out my sink that I used to fill the tank does not produced softened water unless it is hot. I was wondering if it would be a good option to take remaining 4 tetras out and place them in a bowl while I empty all the water, rinse the gravel and decor, then fill the water back up with softened water.

At this point I dont think I will be able to lower the pH in my tank, so I feel like my only options are to see how long all my fish will live, or try and save them by replacing the water. I am still new to this hobby, so I was hoping I could get some more experienced advice on what I should do. :fish1:

Driftwood and peat moss will naturally lower your pH.

I'd remove the fish if you're doing all that, I think it would be less stress. Also, when you fill the tank and introduce the fish you will need to slowly acclimate them so you don't shock them and kill them from the pH swing.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Did you cycle your tank before introducing the neons? It might be related to that and not your pH.

Generally you just don't mess with your pH. It is what it is, and you acclimate the fish to it and most do fine.

I did not cycle it, but I added bacteria supplement when I first started the tank. The lady at the pet store said I was fine to add fish because the tests showed a slight indication of nitrates. There were no nitrites or ammonia.

Hopefully my fish will acclimate to the pH, but mine is really high.

I have done more research and think I might make a RO mixture with my tap water to get a neutral pH. Ill just add the mixture every time I do the water change instead of adding just plain tap water back in. Would this work? And if so, how often should I change the water to get the pH as close to neutral as possible?

I had the same problem when I started out. pH kept climbing to 8.2 no matter what I did.

Do you have substrate. If so tell us exactly what you are using.

I have done more research and think I might make a RO mixture with my tap water to get a neutral pH. Ill just add the mixture every time I do the water change instead of adding just plain tap water back in. Would this work? And if so, how often should I change the water to get the pH as close to neutral as possible?

Hello

Unfortunately you haven't cycled the tank correctly. Having said that, adding 5 neons to an uncycled tank shouldn't really see them off unless there was ammonia present. Neons are pretty sensitive fish and may not be the best fish to start off with.

It sounds as though your water is naturally hard. This might not bode well for the neons especially if you purchased them from a store that was using softer water. This is not the end of the world though. Neons will adapt as Threnjen said but this may take some time and the acclamation period for fish, especially the sensitive neon tetra can be a very stressful period.

Softened water is not the answer either. You should take the fish back and first cycle the tank. You could do this a number of ways but perhaps you should research fishless cycling. Once the tank is cycled you can then either keep hard water and high ph and buy fish to suit or experiment with R/O water to achieve your desired ph and go from there.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I tested my nitrates/nitrites and the results showed 40 for nitrates and 0 for nitrites. I have a really cheap test that doesn't say what exactly the 40 was, but it just said I was in the ideal range. Does this mean I am past the point of needing to cycle my tank?

Also, I decided to take the neon tetras back before they all died, and will probably go for cichlids becaus my KH/GH is 240/180. My tap water is better for them.

Before I do that, I just want to make sure everything in my tank is good. Here are the results of my test I did today.

Temp: 78-80 F
NO3: 40
NO2: 0-.5
KH: 240
GH:180
pH:8-8.4

I am using Topfin Premium Aquarium gravel from petsmart. I did a thorough rinsing of all of it before I placed it in the tank.

KH: 240

GH:180

pH:8-8.4

You have hard water, which is not good for Neon Tetras. Your water also has a high concentration of bicarbonate (high KH), which means that it's strongly buffered and that it will be very difficult to lower the pH.

Consider getting fish that deal well with hard water and high pH.

Just an update on my tank:

I appreciate all the help. First off, I was able to get some bacteria from my neighbors filter introduced to my tank. I also replaced about 50% of the water with distilled water. The KH is now at about 100, and the pH is about 7.2.

Yeah, if you want Neons or any other fish that really likes soft water, cutting your tap water with distilled or reverse-osmosis water is the way to go.

Also, keep in mind water straight from the tap/faucet is going to be lower PH then water that has had time to gas off.

Water is pressurized from the water companies, that pressurized water has Co2 in it, which naturally lowers PH. To get the TRUE reading of your tap water, you must put water in a bucket and let it sit for 24hrs, then measure your PH reading (that will be your actual TAP PH). To speed up that process, you can put an air pump or power head in the bucket.

Have you kept an eye on your pH since adding the distilled water. The blurb on the link you posted for the gravel states;

Note: Gravel may contain minerals that affect water pH. Monitor your water pHafter adding gravel and adjust as necessary to avoid sudden pH changes

Sounds like the gravel may not be inert. Test a sample of it out of your tank with some vinegar and see if any small bubbles form over about an hour or two. If they do, your pH is always going to climb, even with distilled water.

Back
Top Bottom