Pic of my Clam after 1yr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klam

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just recently going thru my pics and was amazed at how my maxima looked from when I purchased it compared to now.
This is an ORA agricultered clam. It was about 2" in length when purchased. It sits on the sand bed in my nano tank. The clam has always been under MH in my tank. Maybe once a month I dose 1 tsp of phyto.

Maxima Dec. 2003
img_309133_0_4237ca3e63f17331a0f8fd9865183028.jpg

Maxima Nov.2004
img_309133_1_7892f51921142947e884a16e7026512b.jpg

The smaller the clam the more need for nutrient/phyto additions. Until they get larger they are moreso food dependant than light. Right about 3-4" is where they start being less dependant.

Might want to step up the phyto to weekly with an approx dose for the water volume. It's alot easier if you cut the bottom off a pop bottle the appropriate size of the clam. Cover the clam, inject the phyto and replace the cap. Leave it for ½ hr or so, unscrew the cap and gentley lift out the bottle. It'll get a more concentrated feeding that way.

Cheers
Steve

RocketSeason said:
I want one!!! seriously though, how hard are they to keep? and how big do they get in a small tank?

They are more difficult the smaller they are as small clams especially under 2" require feeding as Steve mentioned.

Most recommend MH's for maxima's although I believe some people have long terms sucess with PC's and VHO's if the clam is placed rather high up in the tank and you have a good amount of lighting.

Most maxima's reach about 6-8" I belive and time size doesn't have anything to do with that.

I use to bowl feed the clam when I first got it but that was too much work and might have caused slight stress to the clam. I than decided to dose the tank with phyto which is a lot easier and everything else got some also.

I use to run my tank skimmerless and my water isn't as sterile as others so I would like to think that my clams got enough food. This has worked for me. But it is recommended that clams under 3" should be fed phyto every couple of days.

When my clams get big I will trade them in for smaller ones. Just like everything else in my tank, if it gets to big I trade it in for something smaller or frag it. I'm going to trade my cleaner shrimp for a smaller one soon, it's gotten too big for my nano now.

WOW!!!!!!!! I loooooove your clam!, in the future when I get MH lights that's the first thing I want to get, an electric blue clam. One question, what's a "nano thank"? I'm new to some of this stuff.

gilraen said:
One question, what's a "nano thank"? I'm new to some of this stuff.

A Nano Tank is basically considered any smaller SW tank, under about 30 gallons or so. Basically, they are classified in a separate group because the requirements and stocking are very different.

An Example of readily assembled ones from Drs. Foster Smith.

Thanks. The color of the clam I got is very common and nothing real special. I just wanted to test my husbandry skills with a not so expensive clams. So far so good as the clam shows new shell growth.

Back
Top Bottom