Picking out a ditgital camera for tanking photos of fish..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenmaji

Aquarium Advice Addict
After much consideration and suggestion I think Ive decided on the Fuji FinePix S5100,
I was wondering if I could get any input here on other camera options and if not another
camera a better deal on the camera Ive selected..
The deal on the Fuji FinePix S5100...currently ~$306 with S/H
http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/from-shopping.asp?id=964599176&rf=dt
Does anyone know were I could look for a better deal?
Or a better suited camera in the same price range?
Thanks in Advance!

On dpreview there are lots of people very happy with that cam, one thing to consider though (and I haven't looked at the specs) is white balance, shooting in aquariums can really have an issue with the whitebalance of a photo, does it have a setting to allow you to set a manual white balance?

I don't know where you will find a better deal, I've used that company a few times and have been happy with them each time, and they are almost always one of the lowest prices.

i think the main thing in buying my new camra would be the optical zoom. because digital makes it dark and big pixeled

Re: Picking out a ditgital camera for tanking photos of fish

greenmagi said:
After much consideration and suggestion I think Ive decided on the Fuji FinePix S5100,

Bizarre...same camera make and model I am likely buying in July!

Toirtis said:
greenmagi said:

Great Minds I suppose! :wink:

greenmagi said:
Toirtis said:
greenmagi said:

Great Minds I suppose! :wink:

Three great minds???? This is getting scary....LOL

reefrunner69 said:
On dpreview there are lots of people very happy with that cam, one thing to consider though (and I haven't looked at the specs) is white balance, shooting in aquariums can really have an issue with the whitebalance of a photo, does it have a setting to allow you to set a manual white balance?

I don't know where you will find a better deal, I've used that company a few times and have been happy with them each time, and they are almost always one of the lowest prices.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5100/
The S5100 has auto/6-position/Manual White Balance.. The S5000 doesnt have have it..
its continuous shooting is a little slower and it doesnt do ISO 800 at all but the 5000 only does ISO 800 at 1MP..
not a big advantage there.. overall I like the S5100 better then its predecessor....
I think that the Fuji's have the most aggressive prices for the options given.. this is just a observation so far..

Jchillin said:
I kinda like this about it:

White balance control includes Automatic, Preset (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Flash), Custom.

Wonder what that relates to in numerical form?

It looks like the settings for different types of light, Tungsten being the odd looking one I would assume its a Tungsten light source of some sort.. I dont know if you could give a number to Daylight...

Daylight is usually 5500K
Cloudy 6500K
Tungsten 2850K
Fluorescent 3800K
Flash 5500K

Those are the values that Photoshop's Raw Converter assigns to the presets, the cameras actual presets are probably the same or very close.

I dont know if you could give a number to Daylight

The sun at noon is about 5500K ;)

Remember these are presets and not necessarily accurate for the actual color temperture of the light your shooting in, the only way to be sure your using an accurate white balance is to take a custom white balance each time you shoot. Auto and the presets are usually close enough for most people. If you shoot in raw you can always change the WB during conversion.

Thanks Kevin...that was what I was talking about. The last time I did anything regarding lighting was nighttime for bulbs and the term "candle power" was tossed around then.

reefrunner69 said:
I dont know if you could give a number to Daylight

The sun at noon is about 5500K ;)

Remember these are presets and not necessarily accurate for the actual color temperture of the light your shooting in, the only way to be sure your using an accurate white balance is to take a custom white balance each time you shoot. Auto and the presets are usually close enough for most people. If you shoot in raw you can always change the WB during conversion.

Im guessing your talking about the conversion from RAW format its on your computer like in a Photoshop type program right?

I have a question.. how is it they have a mail in rebate and the other retailers are not talking about one? I would assume that would most likely be a factory rebate if it was a mail in one... :?

Back
Top Bottom