Piggyback Canister Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discus Pete

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone piggybacked different size canister filters together. I currently have a Eheim 2180 for 130 gal tank, I'm thinking about adding another (smaller) canister after it using the same in/out hoses. Can this be done? Will there be pressure/pump issues? I would like to do this so I can add additional media without having to take out some of the bio media in the current filter. Cheers, Peter

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean connecting one canister directly to the outflow of another? It might cause issues with flow- the impeller works to push water back up into the tank. If it has to push water through the filter media, it might not work well. Canister filters are designed so gravity helps the water through the media. You'd probably be better off giving both filters their own intake and outflow in the tanks.

Has anyone piggybacked different size canister filters together. I currently have a Eheim 2180 for 130 gal tank, I'm thinking about adding another (smaller) canister after it using the same in/out hoses. Can this be done? Will there be pressure/pump issues? I would like to do this so I can add additional media without having to take out some of the bio media in the current filter. Cheers, Peter
You could get a pre-filter canister. It's basically a canister(no motor) that is attached to the canister and the water passes through it first to remove most of the visable waste before going into the actual canister.
They are also called a Filter Booster, this is an example of one....
These WILL reduce the flow of your canister filter as the motor is drawing the water through two filters....
External Aquarium Fish Tank add on Filter 2.3L - All Pond Solutions EF-2-Booster | eBay

Thanks, I thought that would be the case. I was trying to reduce the number of in take and out take tubes within the tank.

Thanks, I thought that would be the case. I was trying to reduce the number of in take and out take tubes within the tank.

For what purpose? If you're trying to make the tubes less visible, you could get a background and get tubes that are the same color. Here's one of my tanks just to show how they're more hidden:

img_2797732_0_b42a66aa0a4c1ed0ade5cc48cbe5d95c.jpg

I was going to use the 2nd canister for additional media so i wouldn't have to disturb/take out some of the bio media. I need to add Eheim Phosphate Out (due to a high level of Phosphat in the tank) and carbon. I was hoping my spare canister could have acted as a backup medical canister without having to add additional hoses.

I've spoken to Eheim and they also agree that it can't be done. No harm in asking.

I was going to use the 2nd canister for additional media so i wouldn't have to disturb/take out some of the bio media. I need to add Eheim Phosphate Out (due to a high level of Phosphat in the tank) and carbon. I was hoping my spare canister could have acted as a backup medical canister without having to add additional hoses.

I've spoken to Eheim and they also agree that it can't be done. No harm in asking.
What about adding a HOB filter??

Back
Top Bottom