Piranhas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betaton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve been looking into starting a 125g planted tank with red belly piranhas. Anybody have info/experience on plants they will or wont eat?

I’ve been looking into starting a 125g planted tank with red belly piranhas. Anybody have info/experience on plants they will or wont eat?

I suggest you keep them with only inexpensive plants because they are going to nip at any of them if they get hungry. If you go with fine leaved plants, you may not see the damage as much as if you use plants like swords which have single large leaves on a stalk.
Fair warning when keeping Piranha: they will nip each other so unless the water is really clean, you will need meds on hand to treat infections or fungus. ( You can eliminate some meds if you use botanicals like Indian almond leaves, alder cones, etc. in the tank for their antibacterial properties. )

I suggest you keep them with only inexpensive plants because they are going to nip at any of them if they get hungry. If you go with fine leaved plants, you may not see the damage as much as if you use plants like swords which have single large leaves on a stalk.
Fair warning when keeping Piranha: they will nip each other so unless the water is really clean, you will need meds on hand to treat infections or fungus. ( You can eliminate some meds if you use botanicals like Indian almond leaves, alder cones, etc. in the tank for their antibacterial properties. )

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help.

I had them many years ago. Not the most pleasant fish keeping experience. They are cool to say to your buddies " I have Piranhas, stick your finger in the tank. :brows: :ROFLMAO: " but in the end, were a pain in the butt. It's all about the water because nothing will stop them from nipping each other. They don't always do it from hunger so you can't stop them.

I had them many years ago. Not the most pleasant fish keeping experience. They are cool to say to your buddies " I have Piranhas, stick your finger in the tank. :brows: :ROFLMAO: " but in the end, were a pain in the butt. It's all about the water because nothing will stop them from nipping each other. They don't always do it from hunger so you can't stop them.

Ok. After what I’ve seen they are starting to seem like their not worth the big hassle, I may have to reconsider what kind of fish I’m keeping. Thank you for your insight.

Ok. After what I’ve seen they are starting to seem like their not worth the big hassle, I may have to reconsider what kind of fish I’m keeping. Thank you for your insight.
In all honesty, I wish they were not offered for sale. IMO, They are good just for medicine sales. ;) NO fish is really safe with them. :(

In all honesty, I wish they were not offered for sale. IMO, They are good just for medicine sales. ;) NO fish is really safe with them. :(

I’m kind of wanting to create an Amazon River biotope. I’m either wanting to stock it with 1-2 large predatory fish or some schooling fish that are on the larger size. Now that piranhas are out of the picture, I’m having trouble figuring out what to put in the tank. Since it’s 125 gallons I figure Arowanas and peacock bass are too big although I have seen the Kelbiri peacock bass that don’t grow too big. Have any stocking ideas? I’m not really interested in hundreds of small schooling fish.

I’m kind of wanting to create an Amazon River biotope. I’m either wanting to stock it with 1-2 large predatory fish or some schooling fish that are on the larger size. Now that piranhas are out of the picture, I’m having trouble figuring out what to put in the tank. Since it’s 125 gallons I figure Arowanas and peacock bass are too big although I have seen the Kelbiri peacock bass that don’t grow too big. Have any stocking ideas? I’m not really interested in hundreds of small schooling fish.

Look into Leporinus species, Red hook or other Metynnis species, Oscars, Jaguar cichlids, Midas cichlids, Pike cichlids, Stingrays ( if they are legal where you are), Flagtail Prochilodus, Exodon tetras ( schoolers that are aggressive and get large), FW Barracudas, Pink tail Chalceus, larger growing knifefish like Black Ghosts or Carapo knives, Catfish species such as Achara cats, Lima shovelnose, 4 line pimelodellas, Some of the larger "fancy" plecos like Royals or Blue eyes....for example. ;) ;) These are all fish that get large or are schoolers that get large. (y)

Starting a planted tank with red-bellied piranhas can be a unique challenge. While piranhas are more carnivorous and may not be as plant-focused as some herbivorous fish, they can still uproot and damage plants during their activities. Here are some considerations for selecting plants:

Plants that might be more resistant:

Anubias and Java Fern: These plants have tougher leaves and are often less appealing to herbivorous fish.
Amazon Sword: This plant has large, robust leaves that may be less attractive to piranhas.
Plants to be cautious with:

Vallisneria and other grass-like plants: These can be easily uprooted or nibbled on.
Cryptocorynes: While they are relatively hardy, their softer leaves might be vulnerable.
General Tips:

Provide hiding spots: Regardless of the plants, having hiding spots and caves is crucial for piranhas to feel secure. It might also prevent them from messing with the plants too much.
Monitor behavior: Keep an eye on their behavior. If they seem to be actively damaging or eating the plants, you might need to reconsider your plant choices.
Consideration:
Keep in mind that red-bellied piranhas are known for their aggressive nature, and keeping them in a community setup, especially with live plants, might present challenges. They are notorious for being opportunistic feeders, and their behavior can be unpredictable.

Always observe their behavior closely, and if you notice any issues, be prepared to adapt the setup as needed.

Back
Top Bottom