Placement of filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darryn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a standard 3ft tank with an Aquaclear 200 HOB filter.
Does the filter have to be hanging on the back of the tank, or would it do just as good a job hanging on one of the sides?

TIA

+1

I hang one on the end of the aquarium, four footer, Aquaclear 300 on 75 gallons. I had one on the end of my 55 gallon too, a HOT Magnum... had these setups for years with no problems... I actually think it is better to circulate the tank length rather than front to back in one small section of the tank...

Granted I also run another filter in the center rear of the tank, though... But that Aquaclear 200 should do fine in a three footer.

well if you really want to think of it it prob does better on the side. like sicklid said its better to circulate the tank length then front to back. you have a filter on the side the flow is going to go until it hits the other end of the tank. on the back it will hit the front. in longer tanks that can easy lead to dead spots. one of the reasons on bigger tanks i suggest 2 filters.

Yep... Also try to get the intake as close to the bottom as possible with extensions. Use caution around sand or fry though! I always also recommend a sponge over the intake, a coarse one as a prefilter. It really cuts down on filter maintenance...

Back
Top Bottom