Planning on breeding convicts cichlids in the future and need some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoganY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been considering getting a pair of convict cichlids to breed. I have done a lot of research and have been unable to answer a few questions. I will be putting the pair in a 40 gallon breeder and plan on using a divider to put the breeding pair in 30 gallons and the older batch of fry in 10 gallons. I will use the fry when they get a little larger to feed a Senegal Bichir and a African spotted leaf fish as part of their diet. My concern is if I use a divider and separate the parents and fry if the parents can still see the fry through the divider would they stop breeding because their fry are still near by? Also if I get/make a non see through divider and take the fry out early will the male attack the female as I have heard. So how long should the fry stay with the parents to prevent the pair from fighting and at the same time not slow down the breeding process and will a see through divider be an issue.

Hi there loganY
I started with 2 convicts myself and ended up with a few thousand in a year. They are prolific breeders when the conditions are right. However id recomend seperating the parents to prevent breeding for a month till your fry are large enough to relocate as the parrents will still breed and then usually eat the new babies within the first few days and get extremely aggresive towards everything and will almost always get whitespot from the stress of it all. To kickstart breeding id recomend a log or rock with a plant on it for protection and also do a water change and heat it up to about 26°c then lower temp slowly a few weeks after hatching to around 24°c. And in personal experience keep in own tank as they will kill even large green terrors during breeding. Best of luck :)

How to breed Convicts:

-Acquire a male and female
-Add water

Thats about it...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom