Plans for 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Athaocity

Aquarium Advice Freak
Although my budget is low and I'm unable to get on to it now, here i have a 5 gal tank that now hosts a red crown tail betta. It's fins had been nipped by my gourami when it was in the 10gal. But now it's healing.
Anyway i plan to aquascape the 5 gal and have a pair of dwarf gourami in it.
My question is - can a pair of dwarf gourami be in a 5 gal or it has to be 10gal?

I plan to order honey gourami or just go buy chocolate gourami from my loacal fish store. If not, just regular labyrinth gourami fishes will do. Any suggestions?

My main focus for the 5gal is to create a still water rice patty-like biotope. To do so I would need grass like plants.
Therefore I'm thinking about dwarf grass and straight vanelisia( sry I misspelled it) in other words, tape grass.

I'll have pics of the 5 gal soon

IMO, no. Dg need space and they tend to get crabby in close quarters. I suggest just sticking with 1 dg in there. Honestly, even a pair of dg in a 10g isn't usually a good idea IMO. It can be done, but more often than not it doesn't seem to work out in the long run.
Chocolate gouramis are rather difficult keepers who have very specific needs. HN1 has them, you can PM him with questions.

EDIT: I am a little confused. You have a dg in the 5, but you want to add a honey or a chocolate? That won't work either IMO.

IMO a dwarf gourami doesn't belong in a 5 or a 10. If you want a pair of DG then I would suggest a 20g so they have room to avoid each other if needed.

A 5g won't house too many kinds if fish. Bettas,very small schools of nano fish, shrimp and snails, and maybe a trio of sparkling gouramis (not 100% on that one they may need bigger).

absolutangel04 said:
IMO, no. Dg need space and they tend to get crabby in close quarters. I suggest just sticking with 1 dg in there. Honestly, even a pair of dg in a 10g isn't usually a good idea IMO. It can be done, but more often than not it doesn't seem to work out in the long run.
Chocolate gouramis are rather difficult keepers who have very specific needs. HN1 has them, you can PM him with questions.

EDIT: I am a little confused. You have a dg in the 5, but you want to add a honey or a chocolate? That won't work either IMO.

The dg is in the 10 gal and the betta is in the 5 gal by himself. Here's the dg pic

image-2051369389.jpg

Ok. Sorry, I got confused. :)
Anyway, I think a pair of dg would not be good for that particular tank. You do have some options for tankmates though (unless you already have tankmates for him).

absolutangel04 said:
Ok. Sorry, I got confused. :)
Anyway, I think a pair of dg would not be good for that particular tank. You do have some options for tankmates though (unless you already have tankmates for him).

I'll go with what you said. One dg. :) and 2 more Amano shrimp

Back
Top Bottom