plant ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bschowa

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,

so i had a quick question. i bought this plant the other day and it was labeled an amazon sword but when i look up pictures online it doesn't really look like one to me. this might be because it was grown immersed and needs some time to shoot up its submersed leaves. or maybe its not a amazon sword. looking at pictures it somewhat looks like a Mellon sword because of the rounder leaves.

here are some pics. hope you can help in my confusion.

img_1779915_0_c319b7fa8e00a35440c92d5c51f55ad3.jpg

img_1779915_1_7750cd9bfdc6275c8348d7b89fbd22d4.jpg

thank you for looking

Your Plant Question

Hello B...

Your plant looks very much like a Rose Sword. If you're interested in the scientific name it's "Echinodorus x Rose".

Likes medium light.

B

will it do well in high light with co2 and ferts or should i move it into a lower light tank?

Hello again B...

I've never dosed CO2. My tanks are heavily stocked, so ferts in addition to what the fish provide aren't needed. Higher light will initially make the plant grow faster. Not sure what high light would do to it long term.

It's been my experience that a plant doesn't live forever. If you give it high light it will grow quickly, but will likely have a shorter life in the tank. If you match the light to what the plant needs, then it will live longer.

B

so for sure its a rose sword?
when i google it the leaves online look alot longer than mine do in my tank,

is this something that will happen in the switch from emmersed to submerged leaves?

Back
Top Bottom