Planted 40 breeder log (56K no no)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Glen! I agree, less is definitely more.

I need to post a new pic soon. :) I'm waiting for the stems to grow a bit more so I can trim them.

Well, the plants have definitely grown in more. They actually need trimming now, but I want them to be a little taller before trimming.

Here is an updated pic, taken today:

3307427363_be29bb7d9f_b.jpg

closer
3308258348_8aec8bd0f2_b.jpg

Plants from left to right are: back left Blyxa aubertii, front left Didiplis diandra, Cabomba, Blyxa japonica (in front middle), HC in front of that, Rotala verticillaris in the middle, Ludwigia repens x arcuata behind that, Lobelia cardinalis in the front right and Dwarf Hairgrass in the far right, far left and behind all the plants (its a weed!). :)

Apistogramma trifasciata female
3307429751_32d62151e5.jpg

That is HC below her, so it shows how small she is. :)

Pygmy Cory (bad pic, but they don't stay still long and prefer dark spots).
3307463885_b6850e4849.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! Fabulous, Kristin. I absolutely love what you've done.

Is that just a touch of Cladophora growing out of the substrate beneath the plant in back of the Rummynose tetra? Don't get me wrong... I truly hope it isn't the case, but I need someone to commiserate with. I don't want to be all alone fighting that @!#@ algae. :(

Nice tank :D

What kind of substrate(what its called I think :D)are u using
How do u put those small pieces of grass in there?

Ty

Looks great.I never see any of them ember tetras around here for some reason.

Thanks Ben!

WOW! Fabulous, Kristin. I absolutely love what you've done.

Is that just a touch of Cladophora growing out of the substrate beneath the plant in back of the Rummynose tetra? Don't get me wrong... I truly hope it isn't the case, but I need someone to commiserate with. I don't want to be all alone fighting that @!#@ algae. :(

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, that's the ugly cladophora. I have it all in the tank (small patches here and there) and just take it out when I see it. You aren't alone! I bought some hydrogen peroxide to treat, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll let ya know when I try it. :)

Nice tank :D

What kind of substrate(what its called I think :D)are u using
How do u put those small pieces of grass in there?

Ty

Thanks! The substrate is ADA Aquasoil. Sold here: http://www.adgshop.com. I planted the dwarf hairgrass with overgrown tweezers (made for aquascaping). :) It spreads better if you plant it in small groups.

Thanks Brutus! I bought my Embers online at invertzfactory.com. :) I've never seen them around here either, but its mostly common fish that are sold around here, unfortunately.

Last edited:
wow... theres not much more to say ... looks wonderful...youre tank resembles youre personality, warm and welcoming !!!!! nice Pat.....

Beautiful

What kind of camera do you have? Your pics are always excellent especially the close ups including the pearling pic from way back. Do you have any tips for taking better pics?

that tank is aswome i think im going to go to those websites and buysome plants anddrift wood.thats one of the coolest setups ive seen

KRISTIN.....I am havin some serious tank envy. :) Maybe when I get to set up another tank I will buy some more plants from you. :)
Nice work!

Just a small picture to update....until I can clean the glass and top the tank off. :D

3680322464_479b7157a9.jpg

Alot of different plants...and it looks like a jungle now! I always have some collectoritis going on...and its probably at its worst now that I only have 1 high light planted tank. I have trimmed lately, but you can't tell! I'm letting some plants grow taller though, in order to trim them.

I'll try to update sooner with a better pic!

Beautiful

What kind of camera do you have? Your pics are always excellent especially the close ups including the pearling pic from way back. Do you have any tips for taking better pics?

Just saw this and I know its from months ago, but in case you are still wondering...I use a Nikon D80. I use my 18-55mm lens for full tank shots and my 60mm micro for close-ups of fish and plants.

Rescaped the tank the other day. Its still a little cloudy from stirring up the aquasoil.

FTS:
3840735155_4f607f3a00_b.jpg

I will plant something on the left and make a lawn. :) And I need to move my heater. The wood arrangement isn't exactly what I had in mind, but I couldn't get it the way I wanted it. I'm hoping when the plants grow in, they will make it look better.

Fish:
3840745671_9b6b3c53cd.jpg

3841548578_0855eaec9e.jpg

Yeah, I didn't clean the glass before taking the pics. :rolleyes:

I'll probably add a few more Rummynose if the lfs has them next time I visit. And I'm still planning on adding more Corydoras habrosus, since I only have 2 right now. But they hang with the other dwarf Cories, so they are ok until I get more.

Last edited:
LOOKS AWSOME as always!
u always have just good pictures, must be ur phat camera.

whats the lone plant doin all by itself on the left side.

what kind of lawn are you thinkin of?

Thanks to you both. :)

LOOKS AWSOME as always!
u always have just good pictures, must be ur phat camera.

whats the lone plant doin all by itself on the left side.

what kind of lawn are you thinkin of?

I planted the tank when it was still pretty cloudy (more so than now) and that plant is a little to far out. I'm going to move it, but I know it will stir up some dust, so I'm waiting until I have time to do another water change.

I was thinking about this grass. It is Lilaeopsis mauritius, related to micro sword. I think aquabotanic calls it narrow leaf microsword. I have tried several carpet lately and they just don't do well. But, that was with the other layout and I think the plants got shaded too much. Either way, I'm hoping that it will grow nicely and hopefully fast in my lighting.

I'm going to make an auto dosing thing for my macro ferts since I can be pretty inconsistent in dosing them. Hopefully that will perk the plants up a little.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom