planted shrimp tank [updated 5-22-07]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good point. I still think the price does not fit the ease of breeding them, but that definitely makes sense.

Keeping and breeding freshwater shrimp is relatively new in the hobby. Red cherry shrimp have only been globally available since 2003, according to one website I checked. So perhaps the market has yet to reach an equilibrium. Maybe the prices will get more reasonable in a year or two as more hobbyist breeders get going. I started my colony with 6 bought at a LFS marked at something like $7 apiece (8O but I didn't get charged that much :) ) But those didn't fare too well, so I got a couple dozen from Aquabid at a much better price, and now I've got over 60 at last count.

Another factor is that Ghost Shrimp are considered a feeder while Cherry Red Shrimp are not. Feeder animals are almost always less expensive than those that are not.

LFS are also much more likely to suffer die off of shrimp due to improper care, so their prices usually need to be higher to make up for the losses. When buying from other hobbiests the prices are much more reasonable. It's fairly common to be able to get a dozen for $20 shipped.

I bought some Cherry Red Shrimp and some fish from a guy named blueram06 on Aquabid and very happy with the deal. He is generous and always gives many extra. But I don't know he has them to sale or not right now.

GlitcH said:
Here's my cleaning and fertilizing crew:

pondsnails.jpg

man that's a nice shot, what kind of camera are you using?

Back
Top Bottom