planted tank algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauriezuki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
You've helped me before, so I thought I'd give you another challenge.
We have a couple different varieties of plants in our 38 gal. bowfront tank.(Don't know the names of them)
The decorations AND the plant leaves are getting a noticeable amount of brown algae on them. We keep the lights on during the day, and off at night. The light seems to keep the plants growing like gangbusters, but the leaves with the algae don't look very 'neat'. Will that stuff wash off if we pull them out of the tank for 'housekeeping' ? and is this a good idea ? or is there something to prevent it from forming ,other than decreasing the light. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks L.

You've helped me before, so I thought I'd give you another challenge.
We have a couple different varieties of plants in our 38 gal. bowfront tank.(Don't know the names of them)
The decorations AND the plant leaves are getting a noticeable amount of brown algae on them. We keep the lights on during the day, and off at night. The light seems to keep the plants growing like gangbusters, but the leaves with the algae don't look very 'neat'. Will that stuff wash off if we pull them out of the tank for 'housekeeping' ? and is this a good idea ? or is there something to prevent it from forming ,other than decreasing the light. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks L.
The brown algae is diatoms and will usually go away on it's own after the biological system matures, I'm Assuming this is a newly set up tank?

You can wipe the leaves down with sterilized gauze pads or get some oto cats that will clean them for you, but be warned Otos are very sensitive, nerites will also clean them but they too have certain demands and are escape artists.

Rick, the tank has been set up since August 19th. It took about 7 weeks to cycle and clear up. The plants have been in for about a month, and are growing beautifully and even getting new leaves, but the older mature leaves look 'rusty'. This just started about two weeks ago. Not an attractive look. I'd hate to have to uproot them to clean them but that would probably be the safest way. I'd rather not use any chemicals in the tank that aren't absolutely necessary.

Kingfisher, no we haven't fertilized them. Thought the fish 'output' would do that job for us.

You might try some nerite snails and getting a timer for your lights. Run them between 6-8 hours a day. You may not need to remove the plants. In my experience, you'll get them cleaned then in a week you'll have the same problem again if the cause isn't addressed. Diatoms can be caused from a new tank as stated earlier, overfeeding, silicates from tap water or anything introduced into the tank that contains silicates, fertilizers and to much light. Personally, I get to much light in my tanks from natural light and I like to run the lights during the day so I use nerite snails to control it. They do a great job.

It's common for the immersed leaves to look funky after a while, they will fall off or die which is probably what you're seeing, what plants are they? are they stems? If so cut the stem an inch below the old leaves right under the section of the new growth and replant the new stem. Leave the old stem planted and repeat after more new growth is long enough

Kingfisher, Do the Nerite snails reproduce ? When I had fish many years ago, the tank became overrun with snails. I wouldn't mind one or two, but snail eggs and baby snails all over the tank turn me off, big time.

Rick, If I understand your suggestion, we should pinch the stems at the base, and at the point of new growth at the tip, discard the middle algae covered piece, and let the base regrow, and root the tips. Is this correct ? (We have already pinched the tips a couple of times to start new plants, and they root easily.)

Thanks for both responses. I appreciate the feedback. thanks. L.

No they don't. If you get female snails they will drop eggs but they won't hatch as they need salt water. They never seem to drop a lot of eggs and not frequently.

Back
Top Bottom