Planted tank, Ich on rainbows and Cory's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumBot3000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm not really here for advice so much as to share a little triumph with my sick fish. Currently have a freshwater planted 55g tank with 5 Bosemani Rainbows and 5 Cory cats and lots of snails. I found ich on the rainbows 4 days ago and started my treatment with salt and heat. I put 20 tablespoons of salt and raised my temp to 88 degrees.

All of my rainbows had ich, now, 4 days later, only one has ich. If your dealing with ich. Don't lose hope!!! It can work!!! I know I still have a chance of losing them and I have to stop the treatment correctly in a week or two but I'm just so happy ?.

I also lowered my water so the HOB filter would airate and put a small pump underwater aimed at the surface to increase oxygenation and added salt gradually and increased the temp gradually. In case anyone was wondering.

Just don't lose hope!!!!

Glad to hear about your success with the ich! I had it not terribly long ago and it drove me crazy :(

I am however worried a little about your plants. Many species don't do terribly well with salt in the water :(

Plants are actually still growing. Well the baby tears are that is. So far no negative effects on the plants. Even if there are, i prefer the fish over plants lol.

Wondering how your treatment turned out. Not sure how much allowance you made for the lower level of water you mention. I'm having the reverse issue with one of three new cories showing ich, in a tank with rainbows and tetras. How did you calculate the amount of salt, was it 1tbsp. per gallon, with the water level lowered to half or 1tbsp. per 2 gallons? How did your cories react to the salt?

I dosed to approx 2 tbsp per 5 gallon. Then slowly got rid of the salt with water changes.

The cories seemed to be fine with it. Their behavior did not change noticeably. Sorry for the delay in replying.

Back
Top Bottom