Planted tank substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacca

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am setting up a 55 gallon planted tank and have a few questions about substrate I would like to use Eco complete but to get a layer 3 inches thick it says I need 100 lbs that seems kinda expensive can I do a thinner layer with something else on top?

Yeah you can. 3" is pretty thick, you could get away with 2" also.

A few alternatives are going with sand or gravel, or if you want a something with high CEC you can get oil-dri, which is around 3 or 4 dollars per 20lb bag.

I've mixed black gravel in with ecocomplete and it blends just fine.

The main issue you'll have is aesthetic, if you put a layer of something under it you will eventually have mixing.

One other viable option is to go with mineralized topsoil and use ecocomplete as a cap.

FWIW, I used 40lbs in my 30g long (36x12). It gave me about 3" in the back and 2-2.5" in the front.

Is there a certain brand or type of oil dry to use that is safe? It looks Lot like cat litter doesn't it?

I think I will try that with about an inch or so of Eco complete. And maybe a DIY co2. I really wanna try to grow something that will do a carpet effect like christmas moss or java moss.

In a 55 low-med tech, I would look at Marsilea Minuta (for smaller spaces, or larger if you're willing to wait) or Dwarf Sag. (Sagittaria Subulata), as both have reputations for growing in less demanding conditions.

Carpets will depend on your lighting and CO2 (and I will say that DIY CO2 in a 55 might not cut it, but anything will help), but I would recommend that you look at moss carpets as a last option, and even then, stay away from a java moss carpet.

What are some of the mosses that can be used in a low tech/low light that will cover the bottom?

java moss will grow along the bottom if there isn't too much current and it is held in place long enough to attach to the substrate. It will also get extremely dirty unless you have some shrimp or something cleaning it regularly.

Java moss, or mosses in general, will not give you a nice ground cover. Some have done good looking moss walls but IME moss as a ground cover just traps detritus and uneaten food.

I really like dwarf hair grass. I have seen a few pics of other tanks with that covering the bottom and it looked good.

Back
Top Bottom