Plants from Ich tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
I moved my tank and threw out the sand as I wanted to replace it anyway.

Took out the plants too so I could use heat and salt. My question is about the plants. Last time these Cardinals got Ich, most of my plants were damaged and killed due to the heat and salt treatment. So this time they are out of the tank, along with the snails and shrimp!

What should I do to the plants to help make sure I don't transfer any Ich creatures to my other tank?

They are with the snails I took out and an Amano and Bamboo shrimp in a bucket right now, with air and I am about to add a heater and put them in fresh Prime treated water.

Plants are Java Moss, Several Swords, Anubias and Crypts varieties, Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata, Apongoton, Onions, Very large Water lily plant, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I'd simply just keep them in QT for a couple of weeks, without a host the parasite will quickly die off. I'm not the most plant savoy person but a quick dip in a 1:40 bleach solution will also kill the parasite and should have minimum melting with regards to the leaves and the roots shouldn't be effected at all.

Are the Ramshorn snails and Bamboo shrimp and Amano shrimp Hosts too. It says slime coat so maybe not on the shrimp but maybe on the snails???

Anyone know for sure?

A peroxide dip will kill any ich on the plants and will not harm them I use 1 cup per 1 gallon of water and soak for 10 min any time I get new plants

Thank you both for the recommendations! Never gave the plants any dips before but may be good preventative! And good for the chance of Ich on the current ones!

I will try the hydrogen peroxide first. Do you know which strength it is for the 1 cup to a gallon?

Back
Top Bottom