Plants in my 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pufferlove

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am a serious newbie I am considering putting plants in my tank. I am stuck should I or shouldn't I. What are the pros and cons????

Pros?
Can have a gorgeous tank and don't look tacky with fake plants. They will eat up nitrates, add natural element to the tank, provide great hiding places for fish. Lots of creativity can be thrown into the tank.

Cons?
Can take a LOT of work, can be expensive, requires lots of research, limits the types of fish you can have.

Probably more to add to the list, but I would encourage you to do it. It's just another step in fish keeping and can be a great project.

It is a lot, but there are ways to cut some corners, cost-wise. I did a DIY yeast reactor for CO2 and picked up plants only on sale. You could also wait for people on here who are selling plants by the bag-ful. Petco gets some good plant sales too. The lights? I would get the best lights possible. They really aren't something you should go for off-brands with. Ebay and Craigslist are great to watch for deals.

Planted 55 G

Hello Fish...

I have several 55 G planted tanks and I can think of no disadvantages. The fish feel more at home in a planted tank. The plants help filter the water and a planted tank means never having to vacuum the gravel.

I like to experiment with plants and different substrates and fertilizers just to see what will grow and there are a lot of plants out there that will create an under water jungle. I have a couple of old pics of some of my experimental planted tanks, check them out.

B

Planted Tanks

Good morning and thanks for taking the time to comment. The tanks are very simple. I use lights from the hardware store and inexpensive liquid ferts from the local hydroponics store.

The substrate is just pea gravel from the pet store and organic potting soil from a hardware store. There's no CO2, too expensive with the number of tanks I have.

Unless you enjoy spending money on high end lighting and pressurized CO2 and trying to figure out lighting requirements, I don't have deep pockets and don't want to risk the "brain damage". You can have nicely planted tanks on a tight budget.

B

Back
Top Bottom