Plants opening and closeing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well do plants open and close like corals do? I noticed last night (about 10:30 or so pm) that my Rotala wallichii had closed its bright red part (very top of plant) up for the night, and when I woke up this morning, they had opened again.....im kinda confused,...? :?: (if it does it tonight I will get a pic)
tia

yep. plants will do this once they feel they have consumed enough light for the day. my hygro does this all the time.

Yes some types of plants will do that. My Asian ambulia will close up before the end of the lighting period.

My asian ambulia and Rotala wallachii are the plants that are the most obvious when they close. (I don't think I have any other plants that close up at the end of the day!) I turn off my lights at 10 pm and I noticed that the ambulia begins to close at 9:40 or so.

Edit - I just noticed this morning that my Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata "Cuba'' also was a bit closed up before the lights came on.

Back
Top Bottom