Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffruth

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is a good plant for a 20g tank. I am looking for one that will grow up to the top and provide a little top cover. I have tetras, dwarf gouramis and coris and one snail.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

what lighting do you have?

do you want a low light plants (no CO2, no ferts) or do you want the high light plants (CO2 and ferts vital)?

Right.now I have a flouresent bulb only. Just trying to figure out where to start. FW tank if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

do you know the color temperature of the bulb (kelvin, it will show up like 2700k or more)?

and yes, I already assume that this will be a FW tank coz you cannot put plants in the saltwater. saltwater can only have corals and rocks, as far as I know..:)

I am asking about your lighting, coz lighting is one of the most important thing when it comes to planted tank..

Here is a link about it that you could look at so you will be able to decide what lighting you will want later on to maintain a certain group of plants:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/a-beginners-guide-to-lighting-53375.html

Finally got plants. Went with one medium sword and 3 Corkscrew Vallisneria Plants. (LFS names). My flouresent is a 8000k so that should work, I think 6500k or better is required. Any tips are welcome.

The sword will probably become too large but you can keep it for while. Swords are heavy root feeders so I would recommend getting some root tabs and put them in your substrate. Otherwise swords tend to yellow and turn clear.

Swords grow to about 20" I believe. My tank is 16" deep. Will I be able to trim it to keep it under control?? I currently have it in the middle of the tank, should I locate it towards the back more.

As far as root tabs, are they better then liquid fert?

I have a sword the size of your 20g tank... but, they can be trimmed back to keep them somewhat manageable though the plant may suffer.

Swords don't pull nutrients from the water column like most other plants. They feed primarily from their root system. They need those root tabs down under them in the substrate.

Just for kicks and giggles, here's a picture of my big sword... in a 125g tank:
img_1296664_0_0351648427a0e3c92a80e1f1778e3b87.jpg

Last edited:
You really can't trim or prune parts of the leaves and keep it too awfully healthy. You can trim the entire leaves though for a time, but eventually it will grow to even bigger than 20", but like Steve/Jon said, it will be good for awhile.

I don't think the comparison would be better or worse for tabs vs. liquid. There are different applications better suited for certain plants. Swords happen to be extremely heavy root feeders, so by using fert tabs, you are putting the nutrients in a place that is easily accessible for uptake by the sword.

How often do you replace the tabs? I will hit up my LPS and get some root tabs.

depends on which tabs you get... the box will tell you. Usually 1-3 months.

Depends on the individual brand. I like the SeaChem Flourish tabs best out of any, though fort was telling me about some that were considerably higher priced that sounded pretty nice. They'll last a month or two. I just throw a new one in every 30-45 days.

We've got to stop posting at the same time. But, at least we're on the same page.

Pfertz... those are the ones you mentioned. I probably wouldn't recommend them for this tank just because of the price, but for a seriously hard core high tech tank, they may be something worth looking in to.

My tank is the first attempt at fishy in years. Not low budget, but don't really need the best. Thx for the info. I will try and post a few pics of the plant setup here tonight. I will look into the tabs you mentioned.

I am looking at getting a scarlet temple. Cool looking and I like the red. Will it survive in the tank with gouramis, tetras, coris and a snail? Or should I not bother. They are a little more 'tender' I have read.

Here are a few shots of the plants

Attachments

• IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 69
Is it an issue that the flow from my powerhead is pushing the sword around a bit. I am hoping that it will grow tall enough to be above the direct flow.
Also, my gouramis are munching on the grasses I have. Will they destroy it or just nibble at it??
So far I am happy with the plants. I would like to add a scarlet temple? Any thoughts on this plant?

If they like the vals, they might destroy them unfortunately.

The flow over the sword is not an issue unless it is so strong that you think it might break the stems.

I don't know for sure because we didn't spend too much time on your light, but I doubt you have enough light for scarlet temple.

It's a 8000k flouresent 24" long. Not sure of watt though would have to check at home when I get there. The main flow is about 1" back from the main part of the plant, but it does move around. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom