Plastic Hood vs Glass Hood (Lighting)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoxly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my 10 gallon from a local pet store and it came with a glass 3 part hood, one with a handle, one for the middle, and a plastic cuttable piece for the back accessories, but I have no lighting solution.

I can buy a 20" hood that fits my tank for 34.99 or buy a lighting strip to set on top of the barely 3.5inch wide glass middle section, but I don't know which will look/function the best. The tank is a Betta tank atm with just the betta and a filter (its cycling.. yes I know, the aquarium guy said to get a swimmer fish to cycle it).

I don't think the plastic hoods are too bad or look that bad since my aquarium is just sitting on top of our entertainment center, but the 2 loose glass pieces on top with a make shift cover for the 2" in back isn't cutting it IMO. =(

There's no hinge for the glass pieces? It sounds like you've got a Versa-Top style glass hood. It usually comes with the two glass pieces attached together with a hinge, a small handle, and the plastic strip that you cut to fit your equipment. They're a cheap way to keep your fish in the tank. I have an incandescent light fixture with two CFL bulbs sitting on top of the glass. Look for a replacement hinge for a Versa-Top to make your glass top much nicer.

i have a versa-top as well. i love it, it looks much better than the black plastic hood we had IMO. that's just me though :)

I have a plastic hood and within 3 days i have about a 1/2 in of water evap i recently switched to the versa and have had no evap plus i like the fact i can see in from all directions

I have a glass top and will only ever go with glass tops (I replace all plastic when buying new) as stated above, I have found evap is at a complete minimum. You are allowed full (well, almost) customization as far as where the filter goes etc.. they are super easy to clean, if you have jumpy fish they have a hard time jumping through or out with a glass top and finally...they look so much better IMO :)

Back
Top Bottom