Plastic scissors to trim plants in-tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Quite the stupid question if I do say so myself, but I have some java ferns that are not looking so hot. I would imagine it is more healthy for the plant (and better looking in the tank) to trim dead spots off of the leaves. I'm trying to get these guys to attach to my terra cotta pots, and so do not want to have to remove them from the tank to trim.

I'm worried that normal metal scissors will leech oils/rust/random chemicals into the tank that could harm the fish. Can I just use clean new plastic scissors? And how far back should I trim the leaves (ie just past the point of death, slightly before, etc?)

Thanks!

justin

the brief moments a pair of metal scissors are in the tank won't matter.
however, trimming the leaf midway is just going to further damage the leaf, and cause it to completely die off.

I use rusty metal scissors in my tank- no problems as yet.

And like Malkore said, cut the whole leaf off near the rhizome.

I've been using stainless steel scissors from the mega-store's hair cutting section. Works great, no rust, cheap everywhere, stays pretty sharp. Stainless tweezers from a hardware or craft store is another favorite tool. I got a nice 12" angled tweezer for like $6 at the local hardware store several months ago, and it's still just like new.

Well since I got these from the LFS, most of the leaves have some dead portions near the tips of the leaves. If I was to cut all the leaves off that have these dead spots, I'd be left with about 1/5 of each plant. If the leaf is about 6" long, and there is only 1/2-1" of dead leaf, should I just leave the leaf on there? Other than the black dead part, the rest of the leaf looks great.

As for the scissors, I think I'll get a new pair of SS just to be sure.

I would completely remove about half of the damaged leaves, wait for some new leaves to sprout and grow (maybe 1-3 weeks depending on conditions) then cut the rest of the damaged leaves.

Back
Top Bottom