Plastic water storage drum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmartin722

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently got a 30 gallon drum that I planned on using to make and store saltwater. It originally contained concentrated laundry detergent. I have washed it out really good, but still has laundry smell. Cannot tell if drum is food grade or not. Would this be ok to use or should I just not risk it?

Do not use it. It doesn't even matter if at one point it was considered food grade because its definitely not now. If a container is not safe for you store drinking water and drink water out of, its not safe for fish either. Your safest bet would be to purchase a new food grade/drinking water storage drum.

Ok thanks for the info. I'm just going to put it to the side. Maybe can use for something else later. Looks like I'll be investing in a brute or something similar.

Ok thanks for the info. I'm just going to put it to the side. Maybe can use for something else later. Looks like I'll be investing in a brute or something similar.

I used brute with the wheels on the bottom and it made life much much easier.

Yeah I had original planned on getting the brute but came across these containers and since my setup will be stationary thought might work out better.

Yeah I had original planned on getting the brute but came across these containers and since my setup will be stationary thought might work out better.

I just like being able to bring the can of saltwater to the tank during water change rather than dragging and dropping water through my house

Don't use a brute trash can. They leach a ton of phosphates into the water as I learned first hand ( the hard way). After the experience with the brute, I decided to try and find a "leach free" storage container and came to the conclusion that there were only two materials that were safe. Glass and acrylic. I ended up using an old sump and all is good now. This goes for both rodi and mixed saltwater.

Yeah I don't carry water through the house anymore either. I use a pump in my container with a long hose to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom