Platty is bloated, and getting worse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephsmatrix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My platty has been fat for monthsss. I've been researching it, and thought he(or she) was just over eating. So I've been trying to feed less, but no changes until today. He developed a white blotch over night and an almost like see through hole. Im very concerned

iozUEpi.jpeg

iozUEpi.jpeg

fvvvaqi.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your pics are not showing up as Valid links. You may need to post them on another site like Imgur or drop box and post the link to the pics here. Another option is to post them in an album on your main page then post the link to the album here.

I was thinking possibly dropsy too :/ ugh poor guy. I hope I can save him

I was thinking possibly dropsy too :/ ugh poor guy. I hope I can save him

Yes, this is an advanced case of Dropsy ( Pineconing is a sign of advanced Dropsy) and the fish has maybe, just maybe a 1/2 of 1% chance of being cured. At this point, the fish has organ failure and rarely does that come back even if you remove the swelling. The best you can do is euthanize the fish to stop any suffering the fish is going through.

The big thing is removing the cause of this from the aquarium so that your other fish do not also come down with this. ( Dropsy is not a contagious disease but a condition caused by poor diet or poor water quality or poor habitat or a combination of these.)

Back
Top Bottom