Platy death :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riane22

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sadly my favorite fish passed away. He started breathing heavy, not eating and staying in on spot for a long time. My water is all perfect no difference ( i have a master api kit). Hr was in a 55 gallong with other platys, mollies, tetras, rainbow fish, gouramis, corys, and a plecto. Any reason I should be worried about other fish? The only two that ever have problems are the plecto and gourami, but never ne thing bad just mild chasing.

Sorry to hear about losing your favorite. It happens to all of us. Just watch everything really close for a while in case something pops up that you can see, or if other fish start acting funny. Sometimes there is no answer as to why it happened. It is frustrating, but you move on. Everytime I lose a fish I have 2-3 days of "I am getting out of this stinking hobby" but I bounce back and still here I am.

Sadly my favorite fish passed away. He started breathing heavy, not eating and staying in on spot for a long time. My water is all perfect no difference ( i have a master api kit). Hr was in a 55 gallong with other platys, mollies, tetras, rainbow fish, gouramis, corys, and a plecto. Any reason I should be worried about other fish? The only two that ever have problems are the plecto and gourami, but never ne thing bad just mild chasing.
Might have been stressed, might had have a disease, water temperatures?

Bottem mostly, but I have some live plants he always loved and he would sit in the leafs at the top

Okay, well it might have been the pH of the water. Do you know if it was alkaline or acidic?

A bit high. Angelfish need pH 6.5-7.
Ill do some more research and conclude my verdict:)

I dont have angelfish. He was a platy.
My mistake, i was doing contrary research xD
Anyways, 7,4 is good for them.
So here are the factors:
Lack of oxygen
Slime Coat Destroyed
Bullying
Stress
Temperature
Chlorine in water
Disease

Hope it helps. Maybe you noticed some changes towards its final moments that could really help finding the cause:)

Back
Top Bottom