Platy Diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownCoat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

I am a new user here and I hope that by joining this site I will finally be able to put to rest all my many unanswered questions! :)

I have a 55 gallon tank with platys and one chinese algae eater. I feed the platys shelled peas, Nutrafin Max live-bearer food (containing freeze dried tubifex worms) and an occasional piece of frozen spinach. Is this a good diet for platys?

thats a whole lot better than what i used to feed mine, i just fed tropical flakes

I used to feed all my platys topfin tropical fish flakes. :) Their color looks alot better now and they don't have poop trailing behind them anymore (thank to the peas).

i guess if i would have fed them better they would have lived longer :(

Maybe. But the pet store's fish aren't very well treated so thier life span might have been shortened before you bought them. :) I raised all mine.

oh cool! are you a breeder or did you just get some surprise babies one day?

Yes to both. This is the first time i've tried breeding them so i don't know if i can be called a breeder. :) I just didn't want to pay about $30 for around 20 platys.

Yes to both. This is the first time i've tried breeding them so i don't know if i can be called a breeder. :) I just didn't want to pay about $30 for around 20 platys.

well you breeded them and raised them didnt you? you sir/mam are a breeder loll

They're all yellow. I don't have my breeding set up well. . . "set up" any more. But what I did was basically catch the babies when they came out of mama platy and put them all in an empty 20 gallon till they grew big enough to not get eaten by the old platys/neon tetras. "Easy as lyin'." :)

They're all yellow. I don't have my breeding set up well. . . "set up" any more. But what I did was basically catch the babies when they came out of mama platy and put them all in an empty 20 gallon till they grew big enough to not get eaten by the old platys/neon tetras. "Easy as lyin'." :)

Sorry about the double post. My computer wasn't working right. :)

I'll see if I can get some pics.

You should check out my thread later today because I am posting some pics. I have a 55 with platties and guppies. I am trying to get all different colors and I'm doing a breeding experiment. I am just trying to see what colors I get and what are dominate colors. There are about 35 fish in there right now. They started in my 29 but I just finished moving them.
As far as babies getting eatin...I read about that all the time but I have never personally seen it done. From what I can tell, all my babies survive. My LFS said that if you feed your fish enough, they won't eat the babies. I just make sure I have plenty of hiding places anyways so at least the smart ones live.

The pics are a little fuzzy because platys never stop moving!

Attachments

• Fish 010.jpg
    Fish 010.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Fish 1.jpg
    Fish 1.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 85
getting eatin...I read about that all the time but I have never personally seen it done. From what I can tell said:
I see babies being conceived, developing in the mother, being born, then promptly eaten in my tank. But I don't really need any more platys. :) I already have 22 in the one tank.

Back
Top Bottom