Platy fish being bullied.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platygirl1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon aquarium with two males and two females. The bigger male keeps chasing the smaller male around. I feel bad for the smaller fish because he can't swim around freely. Should I separate the smaller male? Or add two females? Help.

What's happening here is they are fighting for the right to mate... The big male is telling the little guy hands off. Ideally what should of been purchased is 1 male and 3 females.. Then there would be no problem. I would say with any fish like platy, molly, guppy, at least 3 females for every male... Then there won't be so much competition. Hope this helps a little bit. But really the choice is yours what you do. A cheaper option would be to go back to the pet store and swap it for a female...

Hello plat...

The tank is very small for livebearing fish. You'll need to add some stems of Hornwort. As many as you can, to provide hiding places for the less aggressive fish. Consider a larger tank, at least 30 gallons. You'll have a much better chance for success and much happier fish.

B

Back
Top Bottom