Platy male-femal ratio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedavinator

Aquarium Advice Regular
This isn't really a question, but I just wanted to share something interesting I've been observing.

I started out my tank with 2 platys (Kate Middleton (formerly Napoleon until I discovered he was a girl) and Goliath). At the time, I didn't know it was so easy to tell the sex. I then learned about how you should always have more females than males. Kate has given birth twice, and I didn't really want to have to deal with two pregnant fish (even though it turned out I also had a male and female molly, but that's a different story) so I just left them alone and hoped he wouldn't stress her out too much.

About a month ago I inherited (reluctantly) another male platy, named Lucifer (for several reasons). I thought surely the stress of the two males would kill her.

On the contrary, Goliath spends most of his time keeping Lucifer away from her. I doubt platys mate for life, but these two sure seem to make it look that way. It's really kind of cute watching the two of them follow each other around, almost like they're schooling.

This is nothing like my molly pair, where they pretty much stay away from each other. They obviously do spend some time together, because my female just delivered some fry the other day.

Anybody experienced anything like this?

Back
Top Bottom