Platy Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlbinoShark53

Aquarium Advice Regular
Why do my platies rub themselves against my plants? They would be swimming by the plant then they turn sideways and jerk themselves across the plant leaves. Is this normal and why would they be doing this?

Sent using Messenger Pigeon

Some fish will do that from fungal infection, some do so if they are getting ick

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some fish will do that from fungal infection, some do so if they are getting ick

How would I treat a fungal infection and will my other fish get it?

They sell medication tablets almost everywhere, i think even walmart carries some. The package will say something in regards to fungal infection

Yes it can spread, not quite like ick, but id treat them asap

Scraping against rocks or plants is called "flashing" btw.

29 gallon community
10 gallon gertrudae rainbow W.I.P.

Id treat for ick as well, remove your carbon from filters if you use it. Usually i medicate for a week, perform water change and check the fish out. Usually one week does well and i place carbon back into filters

Most of the Platys I've kept have done this, but they've not had any health issues -- for what it's worth.

Yeah, if it's frequent and consistent I would watch closely, but much like having a foot itch does not mean you have athlete's foot, flashing against plants does not mean your fish have a fungus or ich. If you see any other symptoms, treat immediately.

How long have you had them? I've found that new fish tend to do this for a little while sometimes. My n. multifaciatus that I got shipped in from Michigan did that for the first few weeks after I got them and drove me CRAZY with paranoia!

Did you happen to get the from a store in Michigan called Club Green Aquatics? Best LFS ever, I live in Michigan and go there all the time.

29 gallon community
10 gallon gertrudae rainbow W.I.P.

Yeah, if it's frequent and consistent I would watch closely, but much like having a foot itch does not mean you have athlete's foot, flashing against plants does not mean your fish have a fungus or ich. If you see any other symptoms, treat immediately.

How long have you had them? I've found that new fish tend to do this for a little while sometimes. My n. multifaciatus that I got shipped in from Michigan did that for the first few weeks after I got them and drove me CRAZY with paranoia!

I've had them for about a year now and they just started about a month ago and I haven't seen any signs of illness since then

They sell medication tablets almost everywhere, i think even walmart carries some. The package will say something in regards to fungal infection

Thank you for that information! I'll check it out

It sounds less like flashing and more like playing. My danios sort of "flick" themselves off plant leaves, sort of on their sides, all the time. Been doing it for a year. Never had a hint of illness in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom