platy resting on the bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itskatieebaby23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a sunburst female platy resting on the bottom of my tank. . Im not sure what to do to help her.
She's in a 20gal tank with
-a 2in female koi angel fish
-two male fancy guppies
- three young cory cats
-a female creamsicle molly
-a male marbled orange and black sail fin molly
-a female silver molly
-a green platy
Any advice. .. anyone?

Can you test water parameters or tell your maintenance(water change )schedule?
How long has tank been set up,and how long have you had fish .

It she resting on her side or with her belly on the bottom? Sometimes my platies will rest on the sand to rest and get out of the other tank mates way or if im doing a water change and are scared. If she's laying on her side there's something either health wise wrong or your water parameters as stated above

I just did a 40% water change about 5 days ago.. I do them weekly. My tank had been set up since September. I don't have a testing kit at the moment.

She is lying on her belly. I've never seen her do this before. And I've had the fish for a little over 5 months

Last edited:
Has she moved at all or has stayed in one place this entire time? When mine are pregnant they'll hide on the bottom before they have the fry. Also has she recently been bullied by other tank mates?
If she's moved around and otherwise seems healthy I would say that there us nothing physically wrong with her. Fish like people have different personalities, likes and dislikes and sometimes do things outside of the prescribed nature of the species (for example i have a khuli loach that does not hide and swims around the bottom of the tank like cory's do

In my experience she's either fine and just displaying a new personality trait or something external is bothering her, I wouldn't say she was sick with what im hearing. I would get an API test kit asap so you exactly what's going on in that respect. Watch and check your other tank inhabitants as fish grow some become aggressive or nippy. I hope this helps! If you can take some pics it might help other people diagnose the problem incase I'm missing something

Make sure it's a liquid test kit, it's A LOT more accurate than pretty much anything else that's commercially available that isn't meant for use in high grade labs.

She moves around to different spots in the aquarium, comes up to eat, and swims with the other platy very rarely. Thing is that she has always been kind of plump do its difficult to tell I'd she's pregnant. It is a possibility cause I have a male in my tank. I have no bullies. If I happen to buy one, I either take it back or give it to a friend. I will take my water into my local fish store and ask for perimeters asap.

If everyone else is fine it's probably not your water. And I doubt a pet store will give you reliable information about your water (don't ever take anything a pet store tells you seriously without research) I would say she's probably pregnant or just shy

Also an API test kit might initially seem expensive but will last you years depending on how often you might need to use it

Back
Top Bottom