Platy twisting around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyPup

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I've been away from my tank for about a week, and came home to see my favourite variatus platy exhibiting odd behaviour. He keeps repeatedly turning around, it's not a continuous corkscrew but just turning around over and over. Video here: Abertawe acting oddly - YouTube

I'm currently reading zero ammonia, zero nitrite. Temperature is 26˚C, which I know is a bit high but we've had a heat wave recently and I wasn't home to open the windows. Hopefully it'll cool down a bit over the next few days :s

The tank is about 67 litres (before decor), and currently houses 5 male variatus platies total. None of the others are exhibiting any symptoms. The tank was initially set up last October and went through a fishless cycle before adding 3 platies. The last fish (3 more platies) were added in March, after 2 weeks in quarantine, but I lost one shortly afterwards (he was bottom sitting and gasping one evening and died the next day).

The ill platy does have a head deformity - he has a dip above his eyes in his skull, rather than the usual flat profile in platies. He's been that way since I got him though. He also might be breathing more heavily than normal, but I can't really tell.

I gave him a 0.3% salt bath for 5 minutes this evening to see if that would help, but it had no effect.

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong? I'm very worried I'm going to lose him. :(

Back
Top Bottom