Platys - are they 'weak' like guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a female platy two weeks ago, as a companion to my single male platy, and this morning I saw her stuck under my air stone. Horrified at the idea she died, I move the air stone only to see her squirm and start swimming again. I don't know how long she was stuck there, but I realized she was not present when I fed them.

She swam a bit and then sat on the floor. I don't think I'll get these fish again. Has anyone have the same problem with their platy, have they died quickly?

Curious to see people's responses here. I have heard very mixed ideas on whether or not platys are really an "easy" or "hardy" fish. I have found that of all the fish I have/had- the platys seem to be the most sensitive & susceptible to falling ill/dying, often times while the other fish are perfectly fine.
Maybe it's a genetics thing? Maybe in some necks of the woods we just don't have good breeding stock around and they are weaker?

Curious to see people's responses here. I have heard very mixed ideas on whether or not platys are really an "easy" or "hardy" fish. I have found that of all the fish I have/had- the platys seem to be the most sensitive & susceptible to falling ill/dying, often times while the other fish are perfectly fine.
Maybe it's a genetics thing? Maybe in some necks of the woods we just don't have good breeding stock around and they are weaker?

She seemed better after an hour and a day later swimming like normal. I suppose they are overbred like the guppies and their genetics have been tampered as a result. I don't know if it matters that she is red - not orange. I don't know.

I have begun to realize that if we are seeing this problem with fish - the tampering of genetics and their high mortality rate as a result - I can't help but wonder what future problems we humans will have since we are entering an era of 'genetic tampering' as we know it.:ermm::whistle:

Back
Top Bottom