Platys attacking each other??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris11391

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 4 platys (2 yellow, 2 black/red) in my 25 litre tank which has a filter pump, the 2 yellow platys are constantly chasing the dark red ones around ask pecking at them all the fish are male, does a body know if this is normal or not??
Thanks

It could be breeding aggression: two more dominant males see the less-dominant ones as threats, even though there are no females in the tank. One of my males does this to the other one, then quickly gets distracted by food or females.

Ok thanks, so am I fine leaving them as they are?

Good morning,

I would not think leaving them in that size tank with the bullying would be good in the long run. I have read they need 45-60 liter tanks. And if you have more than one male in there, they could fight until one or more is so stressed it stops eating.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Good morning,

I would not think leaving them in that size tank with the bullying would be good in the long run. I have read they need 45-60 liter tanks. And if you have more than one male in there, they could fight until one or more is so stressed it stops eating.

Good point. 25 liters (6 US gallons) is probably too small. The problem is the picked on male hasn't got a place to run and hide. Mine are in a 20 gallon (75-80 liters): when the dominant male picks on the sub-dominant, the latter can flee into the plants to get some respite.

Back
Top Bottom