Platys with ICH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,
My brother has a community 10 gallon tank and it seems that two of his platys have ICH. He just spotted it this evening so it is quite new. I need to know a few things.
First, How to treat it!!
Second, he has 3 glofish and 2 snails also in the tank. Do we need to quarantine these fish and snails?
Third, If we do have to quarantine the fish and snails can we put them into my 29 gallon community tank? Or will it transfer ICH into my tank?

Thanks everyone,
any other tips would be useful.

If one of you fish has it, then you have to treat the whole tank. I've never had ich before (knock on wood) but I've read that you have to gradually increase the temperature to ~86F and add aquarium salt to treat it. Maybe somebody can add any additional info because I'm inexperienced with ich.

Here you go! Freshwater Ich? Yuck!

And yes as Aces said you have to treat the whole tank. Luckily it's just heat and salt. Although I'm not sure if the salt would hurt the snails, so you can treat with the heat-only method and not use the salt.

just one question, I am going to do a salt method, but can my glofish take the salt?

They should be able to. You only add about one teaspoon or tablespoon per 5 gallons. Somebody may want to confirm or correct that because I'm not positive.

Alright thanks. I'll do a teaspoon and add it in slowly just to be safe.

Just one quick question. My brother does not have an adjustable heater so we can not make the temp above 75 can we just do the salt treatment?

Back
Top Bottom