Please Help I Just Bought Two Clown Fish And The Just Stay At The Top Of The Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainNewbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to saltwater and I have had a 55 gal running with two damsels for almost a year with around 40 pounds of live rock. I just bought Two Clown Fish this afternoon and they only swim in the corner at the very top. I am very worried should I be?

No, you should not be worried.

They are more than likely just getting used to their new surroundings and will begin to fan out once they become comfortable. Just keep an eye on them, but there's really nothing to be worried about

However, if you see any fighting going on between the damsels and the clownfish, then they may be in that corner due to territorial issues. If there is fighting going on, then you may want to consider relocating the fish of your choice to a new home, or at least try and get them to stop fighting. But that's for another time if you do figure out the fish are actually fighting.

as my lfs said placing the bag in the tank for around 30 min then putting some of the tank water in the bag then releasing them

Search the forums for "drip acclimating". I also think there's an article.

You definately want to drip acclimate in the future. The bag floating idea is a bit old. Coming from the lfs it might not be so bad, but for shipped livestock where the water might be in the 60's or low 70's floating causes the temp to rise too fast.

The biggest reason for drip acclimating is to allow the water parameters to equalize slowly before releasing livestock into the tank.

Next point and it's a big one. QUARANTINE EVERTHING before adding to your tank. OK, snails inverts and corals don't need to qt'd, there are shorter methods for insuring they are not carrying parasites or disease into the display tank.

Please visit the articles area and read. Then post your questions as they arise.

BTW, your clowns will probably be fine (hardy fish). Just give them some time to acclimate to the new environment.

Back
Top Bottom