Please help! Is this bloat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrscbennett

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40b with African cichlids. It's been up and running for about 8 months. I don't have a master test kit only an ammonia test.we do water changes every 1-2 weeks, ammonia is 0. We have a beautiful Acei that has always been very dark with yellow tail. For the past couple of days he has faded a lot, doesn't eat and has gotten very fat, round. What should we do? Tank mates seem fine.

I have a 40b with African cichlids. It's been up and running for about 8 months. I don't have a master test kit only an ammonia test.we do water changes every 1-2 weeks, ammonia is 0. We have a beautiful Acei that has always been very dark with yellow tail. For the past couple of days he has faded a lot, doesn't eat and has gotten very fat, round. What should we do? Tank mates seem fine.

Not eating isn't good. I can offer up some advice that was given to me.

If eating you can give medicated flake food with metronidazole.

http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedicated.htm

http://www.somethingsphishy.com/flake-fish-food-with-metronidazole-p-1284.html

If the fish isn't eating then you may wanna treat the tank with CLOUT, also try the food as others may eat it.

Then you'll wanna fast them for a good 48 hours.

Treatment would be for 10-14 days. Look for sunken belly also.

Solid advice from Convict. The other few couple points I'd like to say if its truly Bloat a fish in that stage is not likely to make a recovery :(, I'd still treat since its contagious. The second point is the addition of Epsom salt dosed at 1.5-2tlbs per 5 gallons as this will help draw some moisture out of the digestive track. Lastly the cause must be found otherwise you'll likely revisit this again, the two most common causes are low quality foods followed by stress.

Thank you all for your suggestions. The other fish are not looking well now. I couldn't find anything to treat the tank with at Walmart and can't get to a fish store yet. Can I treat the whole tank with Epsom salt? 1 1/2 - 2 tbsp per 5 gallons? What about after a water change, do I treat it again? I have an adult bushy nose pleco in there also, will the treatments be Ok for him? One more thing, will maracin 2 help at all?

Yes you can treat the entire tank with Epsom salts at that dosage, the bristlenose will be fine for the time being. The couple of meds I'd recommend that are readily available are API's General Cure or Tetra's Parasite Guard, both contain Praziquental and Metrozoindale. I'd perform 3 rounds of treatment along with fasting the fish, leaving the overhead lights out as this will this affect Metro. Replace the Epsom salts only for what you've removed during water changes. Also remember to remove any carbon prior to treatment. Maracyn won't do anything to treat flagellated protozoa, this needs to be addressed with

Day 1. Perform water change then treat at full dosage.
Day 2. Don't do anything besides observe fish.
Day 3. 25% water change then re-dose at full strength.
Day 4. Don't do anything again.
Day 5. 25% water change then re-dose at full strength.
Day 6. Don't do anything again.
Day 7. Massive water change in excess of 60-70% along with addition of carbon if you have any.

Bloat normally will kill a fish within 7-10 days once you actually see the symptoms, the longer it progresses the more chances the medications won't help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom