Please help me ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tdukes22

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I live in Connecticut and we had gotten hit with a really bad snow storm this past Friday and saturday and we lost power meaning my fish haven't had the light on except for sun n the water in the tank feels like ice water My fish are tropical fish and I was wondering what I should do to keep my fish alive till the power comes back on sorry about not putting any periods and etc

right here is what i would do in that situation:
make a fire in the back garden in a metal bowl, hover a saucepan of water over it.
empty 20% of the tank water as if it were a pwc.
when the water is boiling, pour the water slowly into the tank while gently stirring the tank water with the net. ENSURE ALL FISH ARE CHASED AWAY FROM THE AREA THE WATER GOES IN!!
repeat the boil and pour until the tank is full.
add tap safe or similar product.

i do this with the kettle water when the tap water isnt hot during a pwc. its effective and has energized a lethargic tank of mbuna :) xx

Ok thanks but we still have a ton of snow on the ground and I think my g ma would flip if she saw me doing that but I will deff try

im in ct too but luckily didnt have any power issues.

i would hit walmart or home depot for a battery pack w/ house plugs so you can plug in the heater & filter.

i wouldnt worry about the light, esp if the tank gets sun light.

that was the advice given to me when i was worried about irene knockin out power a few months ago

good luck

Not sure how well this will work but...

Get some gel heat packs and throw them in the microwave. Heat it for a couple minutes and let it float in the aquarium water. If possible put in a divider so fish can't get near it.

If you prefer to boil water you can heat the gel pack by boiling it too.

will the heat pack warm enough of the tank and is there a chance it will release chemicals?

I don't think it will release chemicals but I'm not completely sure. The gel heat packs have a thick plastic enclosing the gel inside. :ermm: You can always place it a clean bag and seal it up just in case?....

As far as if it's warm enough I think it's a experiment on how long the pack is heated in the microwave or boiled. Obviously a pack in the microwave for 3 minutes is hotter than one in there for 1 minute. After half hour or so when the pack cools down throw it back in the microwave or boil it.

good idea - very resourceful! xx

Yeah but unfortunately the OP needs to boil it since no electricity.

But I think it will still work best since the heat pack will slowly warm the water.

Tdukes22 hope you have luck boiling water. I guess you can boil the heat pack in water, place it in the tank, and also use the hot water in your aquarium. But that might be bad for the fish since there will be a major swing in temperature.

Our power just came back on today (its been out since sat am) and the way this weather is looking, i think we are in for a BAD winter (more power outtages)!!! After last winter, we got a mini generator (gas) for about $250 and its enough to run the tanks, a few lights, and a few appliances. Its really been a lifesaver!!!!!

Well if the power is out then I'm guessing using the microwave would be impossible. :)

I do think Walmart has battery-powered heaters which might be enough to heat the space around the tank and keep the water warm. Also wrap the tank in blankets. If you have hot water, put some hot water into a clean bottled water container and float it in the tank (then just change out the water when it starts to get cold).

Remember to keep your filter media wet to keep the bacteria alive! Good luck.

Well if the power is out then I'm guessing using the microwave would be impossible. :)

I just woke up and half asleep. My brain isn't fully functioning yet. I don't know why I mentioned microwave. But at least I did throw in the boiling part as an alternative. :lol:

I just woke up and half asleep. My brain isn't fully functioning yet. I don't know why I mentioned microwave. But at least I did throw in the boiling part as an alternative. :lol:

That's ok--- If I hadn't had my coffee yet I probably would have said the same thing! :lol:

thank you for putting up this post. I am in Massachusetts and same as the OP, I haven't had power since saturday around 5:30PM. I have 5 tanks with fish and I have one tank that is still cycling. My heat in the house is gas so it is actually working without electric. Would the temp in the house helps the tanks not to be so freezing? This is my first time cycling a tank that the power run out. Will the beneficial bacteria that started colonizing be dead if the filter is not working?

Sorry if I put this reply on this post...I just thought it connects to the power issue. Thanks in advance!

i'd be careful w/ the heating packs. def bag em up strong, IMO. i'd be terrified those chemicals would seap into the water :-/

as far as how long a battery pack will last, i'm not sure. i think a minimum of 5-6 hours of juice per charge but again i'm not 100%.

a lot of people in CT are buggin about their tanks cuz the power companies have no idea when some people will be back up

good luck guys!!

jlk said:
Our power just came back on today (its been out since sat am) and the way this weather is looking, i think we are in for a BAD winter (more power outtages)!!! After last winter, we got a mini generator (gas) for about $250 and its enough to run the tanks, a few lights, and a few appliances. Its really been a lifesaver!!!!!

What part of the state do u live in n yea I might have to invest into one of those but right now I'm trying to find out when the power will b on so I can see should I go get one or not

Back
Top Bottom