Please help me guys!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RambleOn1313

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help me guys!

I love all the support on this site. I've gottena few hits.
But the conflicting info from this site and LFS is unbelievable.

I started my tank 2 weeks ago
80 gal
100 lbs live rovk

sump, protein skimmer, canister filter uv sterilizer.

went to fish store to buy a test kit and another thermometer (concerned i'm running too hot) and all the guy told me is that all I need is fish. Just put some fish in there. I've been holding back on this because of what i read on the boards, but everyone that works with fish (retired or at stores, or experienced folks that I personally know) tell me to throw damsels in. so after two weeks of info, i came home with 8 damsels that i've never seen before, they could be the meanest ever and I wouldn't know. And I've been reading for months!
The tank has been running for 3 weeks empty until today, growing algae and some feather dusters that hitchiked on the LR.
Saw some pods today...But now there are 8 fish in there, they look happy to have more room to swim around, but did I do the wrong thing? despite what LFS told me about test kits (waste of money, just bring the water here and we'll test it no charge) should I still invest in a kit? The guy who set the tank up for me said all i need is a KH test kit. That's most important. Right now I have the tank running, a hydrometer, a net and some fish food.
anyone?
anyone? :?:

But now there are 8 fish in there, they look happy to have more room to swim around, but did I do the wrong thing?

Probably, does your tank containnLR? If so it's possible that you will not have a cycle, or it has already cycled, if not, your tank will quickly become a toxic soup. Damsels are tough, some or all may survive, but there was no need for them to be put through that kind of environment. Using damsels to cycle a tank is very "old school", LFS would obviously suggest them cause they make 4 buck apiece off them, you can cycle a tank with a piece of raw cocktail shrimp, see instructions in the articles section, I would recommend taking these fish back.

despite what LFS told me about test kits (waste of money, just bring the water here and we'll test it no charge) should I still invest in a kit?

Thanks to good old Murphy...I have rarely had a problem where I needed to test my water right now, during normal LFS hours, typically something is gonna go wrong after hours, also there is the time factor involved in collecting and taking the water to the LFS then getting back to fix the problem.

I would recommend taking these fish back.

there is the trick. catching those little suckers. lol

I agree with Kevin, the LFS is in buseness to make money, so ya they will tell you to buy fish. you have to look at it this way... has anyone here tried to make a sale off ya, or just sell ya good advice?

As for test kits. who wants to dash out to the LFS to get there water tested? my answer is, The LFS. your more apt to buy more fish once your in the store :wink:

got to stick "my 2 cents" in :lol: . Damsels get mean, I would get a test kit (a good one), and take the damsels back to the lfs. Only buy fish once your sure your tank is stable and then only get the fish you want and that are compatable with other tank residents.

I just deleted about half a page worth of ranting because I realised it was getting a little too heated. Suffice to say, your LFS sees nothing but dollar signs everytime you walk in the door. The advice you got so far was terrible. I'll stop now before I get going again.

Put it this way, the knowledge you can gain from other peoples experiences and mistakes is priceless. And that's exactly what this forum is all about. And it's FREE. The best advice I could give anyone just starting up is to spend a little time browsing through the forum and reading previous topics. There's probably a 99% chance that anything you need to know has already been discussed.

Well thanks for your replies. You've all been very kind, compared to the treatment I've gotten at other sites with the same questions.

I got some test kits and am on my way.

Rambleon, I have no advice (as I don't even have a marine tank running yet) but I sure do sympathize about the LFS advice. I've been reading (here and in books) as much as I can to prepare for setting up a tank, and I just cannot believe how different the advice is at the pet store. Live rock doesn't give you much biological filtration. You should cycle the tank with damsels. Ugh! It's hard for me to stand my ground in the face of an "expert" when I really have so little knowledge. But thanks to this board and my other research, I'm trying!

I'm in the same boat as "blorkiemom" I don't have my marine tank up yet. just bought a 75 gallon with stand, tops, lights and canister filter for 200dollars. just been reading everyones posts on AA for the last couple months and came to the conclusion that the people on this site are awesome and very knowledgeable and the LFS is for buying what you need then run out the door. If the LFS tries to talk to you just point at what you need, pay for it and run out( pretend you can't talk) :mrgreen:

while every LFS needs to make $$, not all are un-ethical. the problem is that you have to be in the hobby, actively, for several months, before you have a shot at determining which LFS's can be trusted.

Hey, at least you know that at my store I'm not all about the $$$! :) I'm not the owner. He does tell a lot of ^&*% to customers about what they need, but I'll give it to them straight, thanks to books and you guys here! Thanks a bunch, I love this forum!

Malkore- that's true, and you also should get to know what kind of exp the LFS employees have with their fish, if they even own any! Any LFS could get a shipment of fish in, feed them, clean the tanks, and then throw the dead ones out every morning and throughout the day!! But if you try to talk to the employees (or owners) and see what they've got at home, you're taking your ground and learning to divide an conquer between stores who don't care and employees that DO. I love fish, and I take care of them at home and at the store... and if any of the fish we get in are ill, I treat them and write a sign on the tank so I can remember and warn the customer if they want to buy... but I'm one of the few who does even at the same store!

You should cycle with the live rock, like I just did with my new tank (based on advice here). Worked out great. In my opinion, it just doesn't make sense to add any fish that yoy don't intend to keep for the long haul.

OK i'll retract my comments about LFS's. There are good people running Fish Stores, I just can't seem to find one :( sorry to all those that run Fish Stores and care about their Fish and Customers :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom