Please help my puffers!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelkindagirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a 55 gallon tank with a few green spotted puffers in it for about two months. They have been fine up to this point. Some algae was growing in the tank so I cleaned it and changed some of the water. They are in a brackish tank with one live plant, some slate, regular gravel, and an air stone. All of a sudden I found the largest of my fish dead at the bottom of the tank. Now one of them is dull and its belly is turning black while anothers belly is just turning black, but the last puffer looks perfectly fine. PH is normal. There are no Nitrates in the water. The tank was just cleaned yesterday along with filter cartridges. They are fed on a normal basis and love their food. I dont know whats wrong. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

No nitrates, what about ammonia or nitrites?

Is it possible that some contaminant could have gotten into the tank via cleaning device or possibly from your skin?

No ammonia or nitrites either. I found another of my puffers dead today during feeding time. I always make sure cleaning devices are clean along with my skin before scrubbing the tank walls.

Thanks for the article. I actually read that one myself before purchasing my puffers. Up to this point I have had no problems. I would say go for it! They are tons of fun. They recognize their owners after a short amount of time and they learn when its feeding time for sure! I just wish i knew what is wrong right now. Everything seems fine but obviously isn't. If you decide to purchase some puffers for yourself I suggest buying them from a small pet store with somebody that really knows their stuff, not some walmart puffers.

angelkindagirl said:
No ammonia or nitrites either. I found another of my puffers dead today during feeding time. I always make sure cleaning devices are clean along with my skin before scrubbing the tank walls.

Thanks for the article. I actually read that one myself before purchasing my puffers. Up to this point I have had no problems. I would say go for it! They are tons of fun. They recognize their owners after a short amount of time and they learn when its feeding time for sure! I just wish i knew what is wrong right now. Everything seems fine but obviously isn't. If you decide to purchase some puffers for yourself I suggest buying them from a small pet store with somebody that really knows their stuff, not some walmart puffers.

Wally world is where she fell in love with them lol. But we have a 5* LFS that knows their stuff were we'd buy from. She likes that they smile :D at her and they are cute.

Sorry for your losses and keep us posted if you figure out what's wrong.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I will :) and I just remembered today that my dad brought home some algae killer for my tank a few days ago... looking more carefully at the bottle, it was for freshwater. This might be what killed my first two puffers. My second guess is that I stirred up the water too much while cleaning out the tank which could have stressed them out to an extreme.

Either way I felt I needed to do something about it. I did a 50/50 water change. Hopefully it does the trick.

angelkindagirl said:
I will :) and I just remembered today that my dad brought home some algae killer for my tank a few days ago... looking more carefully at the bottle, it was for freshwater. This might be what killed my first two puffers. My second guess is that I stirred up the water too much while cleaning out the tank which could have stressed them out to an extreme.

Either way I felt I needed to do something about it. I did a 50/50 water change. Hopefully it does the trick.

Well I hope you figured it and PWC are the best cure all. I guess brackish water is a tough balance between FW & SW. I hope it works out for you.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Mr. Limpet said:
Well I hope you figured it and PWC are the best cure all. I guess brackish water is a tough balance between FW & SW. I hope it works out for you.

Brackish water just takes some getting used to. It's a tbsp of marine salt per every 5 gal and thanks I hope it works out too

you should watch out having multiple puffers()1...what other tankmates are in with them,they kill most everything(2) dont buy ph or algae quick fixes(3)..they eat snails, crustacaens,live food, mussels, shrimp, not normal flake and pellets..(4) need marine salt , brackish-salinity 1004-1014- usually, anywhere in that range.get a HYDROMETER AT LEAST(if you dont already)...they will grey or green up on mood and health..dont worry if they are mostly grey, for awhile...proper feeding and conditions should green them up..(try food first).if are grey and get worse then its bad..they are cutie/moody fish..4sure

doogle said:
you should watch out having multiple puffers()1...what other tankmates are in with them,they kill most everything(2) dont buy ph or algae quick fixes(3)..they eat snails, crustacaens,live food, mussels, shrimp, not normal flake and pellets..(4) need marine salt , brackish-salinity 1004-1014- usually, anywhere in that range.get a HYDROMETER AT LEAST(if you dont already)...they will grey or green up on mood and health..dont worry if they are mostly grey, for awhile...proper feeding and conditions should green them up..(try food first).if are grey and get worse then its bad..they are cutie/moody fish..4sure

Thanks for the advice. I know about puffers and I solved my problem just needed a water change

Back
Top Bottom