Please help! New tank may have ich! What do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabrielle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up a ten gallon aquarium about two weeks ago for my college dorm. I cycled it before putting in any fish. Now, I bought some glofish, which I know are just zebra danios, about five days ago. All has been going great until tonight, when I look over and realize that one of the glofish has several white spots on it (about ten :( ). I'm very new to aquarium owning and maintaining, so I googled what it could be, and it looks like ich. The spots are very small, and upon looking at my other danios, I see white spots on some of them as well. I never noticed these before tonight.

I reviewed the treatment advice and everyone said to raise the temperature, but I heard that danios prefer colder water. Wouldn't it harm them in some way to have the water over ten degrees hotter than they prefer, even if it's gradual??? Or should I not risk it and use the medicine? I really want to nip this in the bud before my danios' tankmates also get sick.

In my ten gallon, which is on the edge (or possibly a little) over stocked, I have one very gentle male betta, two black mollies, 6 danios, and five (um... four, I just caught one munching on the littlest one -_-) ghost shrimp. I know they aren't the best tankmates, but they actually get along and have alot of hiding places.

I included some pictures, but as they are danios, they kept moving. I tried to highlight the white spots. Do you think this could be ich? I'm even seeing white spots on their fins, which should be striped. What should I do?

At the current point, the pH is 7, and the temp is about 70. Also, I have a live fern and a moss ball, so I don't know how they would react to the treatment. Please help!

Pic 1

I don't know why, but it's not letting me include pictures...

I see no picture. Just saying.

As for the danios: I've never heard of danios needing colder water, and even if they do prefer colder water, I keep mine in a tropical tank at 78 degrees in perfect health.

Ich: What temp. do you keep your tank at right now? What is the stock?

I said in the post that I keep it at 70, and it has a betta, two mollies, six danios, and four ghost shrimp.

And I think I figured out the pictures

Attachments

• 100MEDIA_IMAG0073.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0073.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,583
  • 100MEDIA_IMAG0087.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0087.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 82
  • 100MEDIA_IMAG0089.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0089.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 98
Sorry, my fault for not reading the past paragraph.

Ich instructions- Raise tank temp gradually (over the course of 12-24 hours) to 87-88 degrees and keep it that for way until a week after you see the last spot go away. Aquarium salt, in my opinion, is also very helpful. But if you could, tale the ghost shrimp back to your LFS, as they don't tolerate the high temperatures. I just finished taking care of an ich outbreak in my 45 long and lot only one fish, and a couple ghost shrimp from before I set up a temporary 5 gallon for them.

Thanks, looks like another trip to the fish store. I guess it's good I noticed it. Well, at least my betta will love the warmer water. They seem to be healthy and still acting normal, so hopefully no casualties! I'll set up a temporary home for my shrimp.

Sounds good, it'll probably take 3 weeks if nothing goes wrong. And keep your tank at 78 after ich is gone, the betta will be much healthier, and will live longer.

Also, you mentioned aquarium salt. About how much salt for ten gallons?

One tablespoon per 5 gallons, though some people only do one teaspoon per 10 gallons, I've always done it per five gallons.

Salt is optional ...high temps ALONE will kill ich...My 20H had ich and I didn't use any salt...matter of choice though...good luck

Back
Top Bottom