Please help, what is wrong with my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyates

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a pleco and his lower stomach area has been bulging out for a couple weeks now, but it has gotten worse. He spends a lot of time upside down at the water surface lately too. Usually he would only do that when I drop flakes in the tank to nibble on them.

The top half of his stomach looks bony but the bottom half is really bulging out, it's sticking out of the top of the water.

Sometimes he will swim to hide in some rocks though.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

What is his normal diet? Has he had any blanched greens, like peas or zucini lately? Is he still eating well?

Well, he has mostly been eating the algae in the tank and any flakes I add. It's been a while since I've added algae discs, so that's about it.

The tank has been staying clean, so I guess he is still eating. I've watched him eat flakes too, but not much.

If he is constipated as someone suggested, veggies may help. Boiled zucchini, cucumber, peas. A friend of mine has several large plecos, and a half zucchini will disapear overnight in the tank, leaving only the tough skin. Remove whatever portion he doesn't eat overnight.

He may also have an infection, any new additions to the tank lately that could have given him something?

Do the fresh veggie thing. My pleco loves zucchini and cucumber.

Also, what kind of pleco is it? Some varieties like some driftwood to suck on.

I have heard more than once on this forum that a blanched pea or two will help constipation. Give it a try and see if it helps. Also what are your water parameters and as mentioned by dskidmore, any new additions to your tank? What size of tank and what kind of tankmates?

Peas help with constipation. The downside? Making sure the pleco eats it. I quarter a raw zuc and hang it by a veg clip in the tank. The next morning it is almost completly eaten. I don't cook mine. Ours like it raw.

Back
Top Bottom