Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to the LFS tomorrow so please advise me on what to do. I have algae problems. I believe I have corrected the problem in both tanks but not before both got blue green algae and black bush algae. I want to get rid of them! I pulled out the blue green in the one tank and hope that will be the end of it but in the other tank it is too late...
So how do I get rid of it without hurting my fish or shrimps?

Thanks and God bless!

Hi!

How big is your tank? How much water do you change out per week? How long do you run your lights? Does the tank get any supplemental sunlight too? What are your nitrate levels? Do you use any ferts? Any CO2 supplementation?

Hi!

How big is your tank? How much water do you change out per week? How long do you run your lights? Does the tank get any supplemental sunlight too? What are your nitrate levels? Do you use any ferts? Any CO2 supplementation?

It is 2 tanks. a 36 and a 25 gallon. Light varies. No ferts. No co2. Low light plants. I think nitrates are below 10ppm but I am not sure. I took care of the problem I believe I just need to know how to get rid of it.

You can remove the plants and give them a soak in Hydrogen peroxide 3%. I have had the same problem several times. I usually get a 1 gallon container of tank water and add 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide and soak the plants for about 15 minutes. If you have a soft bristle toothbrush, you can gently scrub off the algae after the 15 minute soak. Do a second rinse or the plants in tank water to remove any traces of the hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down under light, so run your lights for about 2 hours after replanting. At this point, you can replant the plants (also a good time to use root tabs if you have plants that are root feeders). This is also a good time to do a good vacuuming of your substrate. Finally, if you keep getting this problem, reduce your photo period to 6 hours per day and see if this solves the problem. You can always work your way back up to longer photo periods if the plants show signs of yellowing, just make sure it is not a micro / macro fert problem. Remember that root feeders like iron, so keep an eye on this.
Good luck...D

Back
Top Bottom