Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah that's exactly why they didn't work. I forgot about the Labor Day holiday so what should have been a two day transport turned into 4 days:( I emailed the owner and he said that it should still work but may take longer for the bacteria to bounce back. It will be one week tomorrow that I've put them in so I think all the bacteria died. My own fault though!

No I figure it was my mistake so I'm just going to try all my other options and if in a few weeks I'm still not making any progress I may try ordering again.

I'd still see if they'd be willing to take anything off the price since they still shipped them out knowing it would take longer

It's worth a shot. Worst thing they can do is say no.

Don't give up on your tank. I was getting super frustrated with my cycle and several times came close to changing out the water and doing a fish-in but really really didn't want to hurt the fish...or do that many water changes! Just when I was seriously about to give up, my ammonia started dropping and nitrates started showing up (still haven't gotten nitrites, but that is common with a seeded tank apparently). Tonight my ammonia was 0, so I re-dosed to 2 ppm (half of my original amount) and am hoping it disappears tomorrow

It's worth a shot. Worst thing they can do is say no.

Don't give up on your tank. I was getting super frustrated with my cycle and several times came close to changing out the water and doing a fish-in but really really didn't want to hurt the fish...or do that many water changes! Just when I was seriously about to give up, my ammonia started dropping and nitrates started showing up (still haven't gotten nitrites, but that is common with a seeded tank apparently). Tonight my ammonia was 0, so I re-dosed to 2 ppm (half of my original amount) and am hoping it disappears tomorrow

The thing that has stopped me from doing a fish in cycle, besides it being mean to the fish is if you can't get bacteria to grow without them then if you add them they will likely die over and over since the bacteria wont grow. Good luck for your test tonight, hopefully your luck is better than us!

The thing that has stopped me from doing a fish in cycle, besides it being mean to the fish is if you can't get bacteria to grow without them then if you add them they will likely die over and over since the bacteria wont grow. Good luck for your test tonight, hopefully your luck is better than us!

Yeah the being to the fish was a major factor to me. The only reason I was considering changing (I knew the bacteria would grow...eventually....) was because I was tired of looking at an empty tank bubbling away in my living room haha. Very glad now that I stuck with the fishless cycle

Yeah the being to the fish was a major factor to me. The only reason I was considering changing (I knew the bacteria would grow...eventually....) was because I was tired of looking at an empty tank bubbling away in my living room haha. Very glad now that I stuck with the fishless cycle

I know how you feel, my friends keep asking to see my fish and I keep having to tell them I don't have any because my tank is still dead LOL. I don't want to waste my money on constantly buying fish could be very likely if I did fish in!

Do either of you have live plants? I was considering putting a live plant in but I don't want to have to maintain it which is what holds me back.

I don't currently have any live plants. I was/am hesitant about them because of the fertilizers and lighting and CO2 requirements. However I am considering getting some Brazilian Pennywort to float in my tank...I like the look of it, it's fast growing (so it sucks up nitrAtes like there's no tomorrow), low light needed...and fish tend to like the shade that comes from floating plants (more like the natural environment). I haven't decided yet for sure if I'm going to get some or not; it's a fast growing plant so has to be trimmed pretty regularly or it can get out of control

My ph is like 7.2 on 10 gal 6.8 on 29 gal and 7.2 on 2.5 gal the 10 gal is newest tank only couple weeks old and 29 gal is a lil over months old and the 2.5 is oldest At 1 1/2 months old I'm getting used filter media tomorrow that's been I 9 mont old tank and media is 6 months old hoping to speed up fish in cycle I have alot airation in 29 gal and ok amounts In others . The person I'm getti filters out isn't taking them out til he is about to transport them I have java moss in all my tanks and when I started tanks I had used rocks in them I'm goin to test water tomorrow

I don't currently have any live plants. I was/am hesitant about them because of the fertilizers and lighting and CO2 requirements. However I am considering getting some Brazilian Pennywort to float in my tank...I like the look of it, it's fast growing (so it sucks up nitrAtes like there's no tomorrow), low light needed...and fish tend to like the shade that comes from floating plants (more like the natural environment). I haven't decided yet for sure if I'm going to get some or not; it's a fast growing plant so has to be trimmed pretty regularly or it can get out of control

Yeah those are the same reasons I'm hesitant to use them as well. I'm more interested in keeping fish, not gardening LOL. The plants where I live are quite limited so I have to research which ones have super low requirements if I ever do get them, but atm I just hve silk plants.

Do you know what you are gonna stock your tank with yet? Some fish will eat certain plants so it has to be researched a lot too. I been using aqadvisor.com to stock my tanks but I'm not sure how many % to stock it.

The pennywort was recommended based on my stocking list...it's a 46 gallon bowfront and is going to contain (eventually): 1 angelfish, 1 German blue ram, 4 African dwarf frogs, 3 sunset platies, 3 blue platies, 3 dalmation mollies, 9 cherry barbs, and 9 harlequin rasboras.

If they decide to eat the pennywort, then so be it haha. Might be a good way to keep it in check from what I've heard about it's growth rate!

The pennywort was recommended based on my stocking list...it's a 46 gallon bowfront and is going to contain (eventually): 1 angelfish, 1 German blue ram, 4 African dwarf frogs, 3 sunset platies, 3 blue platies, 3 dalmation mollies, 9 cherry barbs, and 9 harlequin rasboras.

If they decide to eat the pennywort, then so be it haha. Might be a good way to keep it in check from what I've heard about it's growth rate!

Sounds like you have everything well planned ^^ I would love a tank as large as yours but they are real expensive where I live =\

Yeah, I've been doing some meticulous research over the past 6 weeks! The one thing I knew was I wanted an angelfish, so I worked around that for everything else.
I was going to do a smaller tank initially, but I came across a great deal on my 46 along with all the basic equipment needed, so it was a no brainer to buy it! (For my whole experience so far, I started this thread:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/my-46-gallon-bowfront-278001.html)

Yeah, I've been doing some meticulous research over the past 6 weeks! The one thing I knew was I wanted an angelfish, so I worked around that for everything else.
I was going to do a smaller tank initially, but I came across a great deal on my 46 along with all the basic equipment needed, so it was a no brainer to buy it! (For my whole experience so far, I started this thread:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/my-46-gallon-bowfront-278001.html)

Have you used aqadvisor? I been researching what types match and stuff like that but have used aqadvisor mostly just for stocking percentages. For me I am building my tank around my Betta so I'll have the one Betta, 8 Neon Tetras, 5 peppered cory and possibly one Oto later down the track.
For my 20g I bought it as one of the starter kit types with an overhead filter built into the hood. If I had bought everything separately it would have cost a huge amount and a hood was a must since Betta's are jumpers and I have a cat.

There is a product called stability that I used to cycle my 45 gallon. It seemed to speed things along.

How long did your cycle take after you used that? I'm looking it up now and it seems promising!

The java moss is lowlight which is why I got it I have guppies in my tanks and 29 gal has cory car and the 2.5 a snail tht will prob be rehomed I am trading my feeder guppy females i got for free for a Betta with its bowl and giving some fry away to people lol to many fry

Back
Top Bottom