Please ID my Clam and this weird orage thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weemanpow3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought this at my LFS and Its like 4 inches all arround and I forgot what it was called. It looks puple/ Blue. The Clam opened up in five minutes when I put it in the tank. The pepermint shrimp was all over it.( Maby becasue Aptasia and Featherduster was on it). Heres the picture. The last 1 is a weird orange thing thats just been growing.

img_778651_0_06d0136f5b5361072790570f859a4df9.jpg

img_778651_1_618bbad3651aa7734e4bdb318689fc73.jpg

img_778651_2_dc34de805a28d6255947d810d8ebf6cc.jpg

the clam kinda looks like Crocea Clam (Tridacna crocea) and the last pic is maybe a small cup coral? I have no idea

I agree with the clam...as for the last pic do you have a lot of it growing in your tank? Is it kind of spongey? I have what looks like it too and it is not a coral. I would say it is a type of macro algae but have not been able to get a good enough pic of it to get it identified.

The clam looks like a Maxima IMO. Crocea's have a more rounded shell and more prominent scutes-usually. The second is a type of algae. I'm not sure of the exact name but it grows aggressively and is hard to remove. I would get rid of it before it spreads.

well its 9:00am and my Light will go on a 11:00am so I will try 2 get a better picture. This is not growing fast. its been their for 6 months. that spot is 1 inch arroung and their is another spot thats been their thats only a 1/4 of an inch and hasent grown much at all. I can either leave it, or remove it. Im just gonna wait for more peoples information.

thats been their thats only a 1/4 of an inch and hasent grown much at all
It was not a issue for me until about year and a half after I first saw it. Now it's covered one rock almost completely choking off the animals inside. It's not nice to look at and it's tough to remove with out taking out the rock and scrubbing it. Your choice :wink:
EDIT-the algae in the second pic is Lobophora Variegata.

Back
Top Bottom