Pleco and tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tali931

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 55 gallon tank which homes 3 plecos between 3 to 5 inches and a whack of guppies. The tank has 2 aquaclear 50 filters and I do 50% water changes twice a week. Few days ago I was given a common pleco who is about 12 inches long due to its tank starting to leak. My plan was to rehome him ASAP to someone with a bigger tank. I was also planning to upgrade my tank to 90 gallons in the next year or so for my own plecos. So unfortunately I kinda got attached to the new monster in my tank and I'm starting my 90 gallon upgrade in the next few weeks. I'm also aware that I will need to upgrade to a bigger tank or pond down the road if I keep the common. So my plan on the new tank is to run two aquaclear 110s and do lots of water changes . Should that be ok for the time being? Also any advice on successfully swapping 50 to 90 that will be located in the same spot? I'm planning on starting to seed a 110 filter in my 50. How long do you guys think till the filter will be ready? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

If you need to for now you can set up a Rubbermaid container or stock tank pond. There are vids on making DIY ponds and filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I would of never thought of a Rubbermaid container. That would work great while we are swapping the two tanks. I could even make my filter work with that :)

You're welcome. Over the years as a Falconer, Reptile owner and Tarantula keeper sometimes DIY was the only game in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom