Pleco consuming Mollie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good lord, I came home from work to night only to find my Albino Pleco consuming what very little was left of a Mollie. It was a fairly large Mollie too, one that was black & white spotted with a cool tail? All my other fish are doing well, water is good. Don't know what killed it, but that Pleco was cleaning up. I have to be honest, it was kind of a disturbing sight to come home to...:ermm:

Good lord, I came home from work to night only to find my Albino Pleco consuming what very little was left of a Mollie. It was a fairly large Mollie too, one that was black & white spotted with a cool tail? All my other fish are doing well, water is good. Don't know what killed it, but that Pleco was cleaning up. I have to be honest, it was kind of a disturbing sight to come home to...:ermm:

Yeah, nature can certainly be confronting- I was strolling around the lfs the other day admiring the occupants, when I came to a bristlenose tank where one was gorging itself on the remains of another! I fled the store in horror! Lol. Some things just shouldn't be witnessed :nono:

Fish will eat other fish that have died in their ecosystem.

It's a way to prevent predators sniffing around in the wild.

I know that even certain mammals do it too, rats for example.

Being bottom feeders its likely that it was the "first on scene" so to speak when the fish died, and it took up its duties to the ecosystem.

Nature is quite remarkable really huh?

Fish will eat other fish that have died in their ecosystem.

It's a way to prevent predators sniffing around in the wild.

I know that even certain mammals do it too, rats for example.

Being bottom feeders its likely that it was the "first on scene" so to speak when the fish died, and it took up its duties to the ecosystem.

Nature is quite remarkable really huh?

It is for sure. I live in a rural area of Colorado and there are a lot of predatory birds out here- red tailed hawks, falcons, etc. They're always cleaning up the road kill.

Back
Top Bottom