Plecos in fiberglass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gzeiger

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone have experience with a common pleco in a fiberglass and wood tank? I really like plecos, and I'm excited to finally have a tank big enough to keep one (900 gallon plywood | MonsterFishKeepers.com) but I'm concerned that their grazing behavior over a long period might compromise the waterproof layer and make the tank leak. I've heard a few opinions, but nobody that really seems to have tried it.

I don't mean to plug. There are many ethical issues on that forum and I'm usually uncomfortable reading it, but nonetheless it is really the only place to get sensible advice on a custom built monster tank.

The plug would be for NANFA. This guy is outgrowing his 55. Time to move him up to the presently occupied 75, just as soon as I can finish the future home of the Ameiurus catfish and American eel that will need it eventually.

I can't wait to hear the outrage when I let a thousand gallon tank sit for a few months with just guppies and crayfish though, building a feeder population.

Attachments

• pickerel grew up.jpg
    pickerel grew up.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 62
Cool project looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

That's actually a pretty sick idea, I actually thought about doing that as well! I personally would go with endlers they don't eat their fry at all and multiply fast! Not too expensive either....

Endlers are neat, but not locally available. I would use wild-caught Gambusia holbrooki before I shipped feeders. I might use some mollies too, although I'm a bit north of their range. They are commercially available though.

Back
Top Bottom