Plexiglass ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

first-timer89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Plexiglass ok to use to make an overflow box and to divide my sump? it is very sturdy. TIA PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Plexi will be fine to build a overflow box! I hope you have messed with plexi before!! IMO it would be better to by one if your not skilled with a saw :lol: That thing will leak like crazy if your not carefull and your cuts have to be VERY straight!! Or you will have to pile on the silicone then it will look like crap!!! Good Luck thoe!!! :lol:

sand the cut edges a little bit too, maybe even a secondary, fine grit wet sanding. Make those edges nice and smooth. (course the right saw might not leave much to sand)

Also, be sure you use an acrylic glue such as Weld On #3 or #16. For a small project, especially if you haven't worked with plexi (acrylic) before, I'd go with the #16. Silicone will NOT hold acrylic together...it just doesn't stick to it. I wouldn't even trust silicone to seal a leaky seam. Use the #16...let it run down the seam that leaks and dry...it'll seal. JMHO :mrgreen:

I'm not sure if you have a LOWE'S home center near you but they sell plexiglass and Lexan..Lexan is stronger than standard plexiglass and they will cut to size for you

Sorry, been away for a while and must have missed this post. You can't use silicone on acrylic, plexi, lexan, or any of the clear plastics. It just won't stick to it. I would do a Google search for Weld On Acrylic Cement...I can't remember where I got mine. I ordered a gallon of #3 and a case of #16. Once I started using it, I found out that a little goes a long way! One tube of #16 should be plenty to build your overflow with some left over.

First of all there are severl types of acrylic made from several different manufacturers. Plexi is a manufacturer. Lexan is only stronger because of the way it is made. Depending on the demenions and thickness of acrylic used this wil determin the type of acrylic needed. No, silicone will not work with acrylic or structural support. Silicone works when bonding acrylic to glass only because silicone has the same chemical composition as glass and bonds well to it. I would never use acrylic from a home improvement store for a couple of reasons:
-Generally it is all extruded material and not as strong as cell cast or continuous cast acrylic.
-It is way overpriced! Look in the phone book for plastic distributors in the area. You can buy a full 4X8 sheet for what you can get a half sheet (or 2-1/4 sheets) at the local store.
For overflows continuous cast material should be fine for a DIY overflow, ask for Acrylite FF in 1/4" They will also sell the needle bottles and solvents needed for bonding acrylic. I recommend for starters to use Weld-on #3 or #4 and when set re-seal with the # 16 which is thicker and more syrup like.

Look in the DIY forum for a sticky thread titled acrylic fabrication.

HTH,
R-

sumphead said:
I would never use acrylic from a home improvement store for a couple of reasons:
-Generally it is all extruded material and not as strong as cell cast or continuous cast acrylic.
-It is way overpriced! Look in the phone book for plastic distributors in the area. You can buy a full 4X8 sheet for what you can get a half sheet (or 2-1/4 sheets) at the local store.

That is so true! Another place to look, especially if you live in the middle of nowhere as I do, is glass shops. I can usually make rounds of the glass installers in the area and come up with enough scrap to build an overflow...sometimes they will even give it to you. I think a 4x8 sheet is about $80 here although I confess that I don't know what type of material it is.

Unfortunately the cost of acrylic varies with the cost of gas. $80 sounds about right for continous cast 1/4" which is fair for retail cost.

R-

Back
Top Bottom