Poly-fill advisory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sasquatch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Do not use the "poly-fil" brand made by Fairfield and sold at Hobby Lobby. It leaches something. Our tank looks like it has an algae bloom. And every surface in the tank looks like it's been frosted.

Thanks for the warning.
Did you check to make sure it says hypoallergenic on the bag because that means that there are no chemicals in the polyester?

Are you sure It's the poly fil? Do you rinse it before using it?

I read about it online doesn't look to have anything in it.

I've been using Fairfield Polyfill for years now with absolutely zero issues, there has to be another explanation for your algae outbreak.

The problem appeared the first time shortly after I first put in the fiberfill. Then it went away after a day of running. Then it reappeared shortly after I replaced the clogged fiberfill. The problem is definitely the poly. Rinsing didn't produce any visible issues. But maybe it takes more than a simple rinse.

If you could... Pictures would be nice. I can't imagine that the poly fil is causing an algae outbreak throughout the entire tank.

Algae needs three things in order to grow properly, light, water, and nutrients(food source) like all plant life. I'm sorry but there is no way possible that polyfill is going to contain these basic nutrients needed to tip the scale causing a algae outbreak, sounds like all the ingredients were already in place for the bloom prior to you adding the polyfill.

I did not say it was an algae bloom. I said it looked like an algae bloom. But that was wrong because I meant to say a bacteria bloom. The water is milky. Milky white water that appears shortly after putting a white material in the filter can't be coincidence.

This condition most often is seen in a newly started aquarium, but can also occur in a tank in which there is has been an increase in the nutrients in the water, particularly nitrates and phosphates.

In new tanks, the bloom will dissipate as the nitrogen cycle becomes established and stabilizes. Maybe the act of replacing the clogged polyfill which contained your beneficial bactiera caused the outbreak.

Regular partial water changes and good tank maintenance will usually prevent severe bacterial blooms.

Still the cause of a bacteiral bloom was not the polyfill, I'm not going to argue about but there are certain facts when it comes to these conditions and inadament objects are not included in their causes.

So please don't bash a company on a public website claiming their product caused your issues, especially a product not designed to be used in aquariums initially. Plus this is against the forums rules,

Dealer/Vendor/Retailer and Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Members may post only factual, first hand experiences regarding retailers and vendors. Posts containing opinion, second hand information or content deemed to be intentionally defamatory will be removed. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through other means but not through our community.

Last edited:
Now hang on. I never bashed the company or it's product. I'm sure it works just fine for its intended purpose. I have no dispute with the company whatsoever. All I wanted to do was pass along some information that I thought might be helpful to others. And this forum is full of threads where people ask for and receive opinions about specific brands. Probably half the threads here are people asking "what's the best [insert product here] for my tank?" or something similar. And those threads are full of people passing along their experience with Brand X, Y, and Z. I fail to see how that is any different from my thread saying, "I tried this and it didn't work". Everything I posted here is firsthand knowledge. I haven't said anything derogatory or inflammatory.

Nor do I think the poly-fil caused a bacteria bloom. The tank does not have a bacteria bloom. It has foggy water that resembles a bacteria bloom. But it is nowhere near as severe as an actual bloom. On top of that, the poly-fil was a very recent addition to an established tank. The tank is fully cycled and had no water issues at all until I added the poly-fil. I added the poly, the water got cloudy.

Sorry to hear you're having issues, however I have used poly-fil before with no problems.

Sorry to hear you're having issues, however I have used poly-fil before with no problems.
Maybe there's something about our water that reacts with the poly. Maybe we got a "bad" batch of poly. Or maybe the poly has oxidized while sitting around unused. I don't know what happened. But the tank looks perfect this morning. If it had been a bacteria bloom it would not have disappeared overnight. The problem had to be the poly. That's the only thing that changed in the tank.

Maybe there's something about our water that reacts with the poly. Maybe we got a "bad" batch of poly. Or maybe the poly has oxidized while sitting around unused. I don't know what happened. But the tank looks perfect this morning. If it had been a bacteria bloom it would not have disappeared overnight. The problem had to be the poly. That's the only thing that changed in the tank.

Did you remove or change other media so you could fit the polyfill in? Did you buy regular polyfill or the flame retardant/resistant stuff? I, too, use polyfill regularly in both my tanks and in my pond and have never had any issues.

Did you remove or change other media so you could fit the polyfill in? Did you buy regular polyfill or the flame retardant/resistant stuff? I, too, use polyfill regularly in both my tanks and in my pond and have never had any issues.

Good Point ... I've been using Fairfield Brand Poly-Fill from Michaels arts Crafts for almost 2 years with no issues. The OP mentioned a milky white cloudiness which is consistent with a bacterial bloom. Could the OP have gone through a mini-cycle when the older Poly-fill was swapped out?

Good Point ... I've been using Fairfield Brand Poly-Fill from Michaels arts Crafts for almost 2 years with no issues. The OP mentioned a milky white cloudiness which is consistent with a bacterial bloom. Could the OP have gone through a mini-cycle when the older Poly-fill was swapped out?

I agree that OP went through a mini cycle due to swapping out the poly-fill...I say this because I just swapped out my poly-fill 2 days ago now and I am going through the EXACT same thing...Also OP you can go through a mini cycle and it CLEARS up within 24 hours my tank has done that ...DEPENDS on how much bb you got rid of and how fast it is replenished.....OP glad to hear its clear again for you

I use this on every tank and never had an issue. I never replace it either, i just wash it good and put back.

Back
Top Bottom